Thread: Natural / live edge hall / entry table

Natural / live edge hall / entry table

Basically this table is finished, other than just a few more coats of the oil finish then to rub it out with wax.
    The wood for the construction of the table was all provided by one Maple tree that contained varying degrees of figure throughout, the legs were sawn from a single piece for the matching grain where as the skirt boards were from another to give a contrasting grain of some tiger figure and then of course a highly figured floating slab for the top showing levels of quilt and curl was chosen.
    Normally I will tend to hide the live edge of the table keeping it to the underside so that the top will have more of a clean look however I chose to do otherwise with this particular slab, this table will also be going to the gallery and hopefully the slab orientation will appeal to the buyer(s).
    Attached Images Attached Images

very unique !! nice job

It is very unique. It's got beautiful wood and, clearly, a good job on execution. I'm having a hard time getting my head around the design. Why did you choose to show off the underpinnings ?

Obviously it was a long time between photos .. especially between photo # 1 and photo # 2 according to the shadows !

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    It is very unique. It's got beautiful wood and, clearly, a good job on execution. I'm having a hard time getting my head around the design. Why did you choose to show off the underpinnings ?

Obviously it was a long time between photos .. especially between photo # 1 and photo # 2 according to the shadows !
    Thanks Joe

Yonak,
    Actually the pictures were taken only a few minutes apart I had just repositioned the table so that the sun would highlight the figure better. As to showing the underpinnings, the top floats above the legs, aprons and cross members by using brass bushings to elevate the top, this is now the 4th table I've built like this and the previous three all sold within a few days so I must be doing something right

Very nice !

John,

Fantastic execution love the design and highlighting the live edge.

John I love your design! Great job.

Love it! Beautifully done.

Fine build! I like the simple design of this table. The natural look of the wood and the finishing you did is fantastic! Good job.