Thread: Seeking overarm table saw guard/dust collector advice, especially re Grizzly

Seeking overarm table saw guard/dust collector advice, especially re Grizzly

I'm looking to buy an overarm table saw guard/dust collector in the near future and have budgeted no more than $200. The PSI can be had new for that price, and Grizzly and Biesemeyer guards show up used in that vicinity. I've been unable to find any feedback on the Grizzly, so was hoping someone here has an informed opinion. I'm especially interested in the dust collection aspect; my saw has a riving knife.

Thanks in advance for any any help.

Richard

Blog Entries
    Well, it is not an overarm, but it works great with my G1023 and that is a 3" SharkGuard. Very fast on and off. Sorry I can't answer your question more directly.

+1 with Shark Guard. Works as advertised.

Thrilled with my Shark Guard. Hardly ever remove it. No longer have any dust on the surface or chips shooting back at me. Highly recommend one.

dust boom

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cauman View Post
    I'm looking to buy an overarm table saw guard/dust collector in the near future and have budgeted no more than $200. The PSI can be had new for that price, and Grizzly and Biesemeyer guards show up used in that vicinity. I've been unable to find any feedback on the Grizzly, so was hoping someone here has an informed opinion. I'm especially interested in the dust collection aspect; my saw has a riving knife.

Thanks in advance for any any help.

Richard
    If your shop ceiling is not too high, make your own. I attached a horizontal wooden pin from the
    ceiling and a boom that could go up and down on the pin with a fishing line attached to a counter weight. then
    the stock hood from the saw attacked to that and a hose going up to my main trunk line to vaccume.

I also have a shark guard, but can't comment on price, as I have had it some time. There is no bracketing to support your hose, I just put a Y on my pipe and ran a smaller pipe over the top of the saw, and hung a hose from the pipe down to the guard. Just ran a strap from the ceiling down to the pipe to support it. When I have to remove the guard, I just hook it over the pipe and leave it hanging while I make the cut, and it is easily put back on.

I used the PSI with my 1023 and it was great. Just sold both. I mounted it diff ways (moved twice) I had it mounted to the floor and above to the rafters. Both worked well.

My ceiling is actually very high--12 feet. After working in a very cramped space for many years I built a pole barn (confession: I did NOT do the framing, so to say "I built" is overstating the case, but I did do the rest of it). So attaching the guard to the ceiling is impractical. I've heard very good things about the Shark Guard, but I think I need the boom-type system, given the ceiling height. I'm glad to hear Keith likes the PSI, as I have more confidence in what Creekers have to say than Amazon reviewers; there were some complaints about the PSI sagging when mounted out on the right of the saw, but I suppose I can handle that with a mod. I have a 10 percent off coupon for the PSI that expires in a few days, so it's probably now or never.

Thanks to all for the input.