Thread: Finish for "Plytanium" Paneling

Finish for "Plytanium" Paneling

I guess this is sort of a "project finishing" question in that it is clearly a project and I have yet to finish it.

My shop walls are covered (almost finished) with Georgia-Pacific "Plytanium" ply bead which is essentially pine faced beaded paneling. The surface is southern pine with T&G bead look to it.

I had originally thought of applying a clear finish to protect and enhance the natural grain but G-P warns against any finish that is not acrylic latex, (they suggest satin gloss). The reason given by one of the G-P tech guys was that the final look is anybody's guess when you use a clear finish. Some folks have ended up with a large zebra look on their walls. Hmmm...

I guess I could go with a whitish, cover the grain completly, latex paint, but I am wondering about a white wash finish that allows some amount of grain to be highlighted, but doesn't bring out the zebra look. Anyone had experience with painting Plytanium bead paneling? Thanks.

...Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think the Zebra look would be cool! I do know that I couldn't bring myself to paint wood in my shop, unless I had to.

Do you have any scraps you can try on?
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Sudmeier
    I think the Zebra look would be cool! I do know that I couldn't bring myself to paint wood in my shop, unless I had to.

Do you have any scraps you can try on?
    I can certainly relate to not painting wood if I didn't have to. The natural look was a factor in selecting the pine bead paneling.

I now realize that I omitted the other reason I was considering a white-ish finish. While the pine is certainly not dark, it doesn't reflect as much light as white walls would. Maybe a trip to the paint store for a few quarts is in order.
    I do have a lot of scrap material that I can experiment with.

Thanks Jeff.

I didn't paint any of the T1-11 or beadboard in my shop...left it natural. If you put a clear finish on it and you don't like it...you can always paint over it!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim...

I'm off to the paint store.

...Bob