Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guitar amp cabinet...

Guitar amp cabinet...

I play guitar and I woodwork. So I figured I would combine the two. This is the second and third cabinets I have made, Let me know what you think...

The main cabinet is Cuban Mahogany, and the front is maple. Both cabs are done with box joints on the Incra TS/LS system. It's all finished in tung oil.
    The amp is a Dumble clone. All hand wired. And the speaker is a EVM-12L I believe.
    Attached Images Attached Images

OOhh- nice cabs! But somewhat more prone to dings and dents than the standard tolex version... 50W Overdrive special ?????
    Last edited by Halgeir Wold; 02-04-2014 at 4:08 PM.

Very cool! Did you do all the electrical stuff too?

Seems odd to me to see the tubes hanging upside down--is that SOP for guitar amps? Any reason they do that instead of flipping them around? (Having said that, the tubes in my VT-100s are sideways).

I keep thinking about building a little tube-based headphone guitar amp with a nice little box. Maybe some day I'll graduate to something like what you've done...

Upside down is most common in combo amps.....

I built it as more of a piece for the house. Might be gigged a few times. I only did the woodwork on it. The electronics are a bit out of my reach at the moment.

Here is my next cabinet or I should say cabinets. They are made from mahogany with Cuban mahogany racing stipe. Gonna be 2 bass cabinets. This is the smaller one of the two at 24x16". It will be sealed with 2 10" woofers and a 1" horn. I am using the electronics from a G&K cabinet. The larger one will be 24x24" and house 4 10" woofers and will be ported. I will add pics as I go.
    image.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

re: tubes upside down

Ever notice that if the controls go left to right in the head version of an amp, they usually go right to left in the combo version? Think about that, and you'll know why tubes point the way they do

That's most probably because the major amp makers of those days didn't bother to make a new layout, so they just flipped the head cab and put it a combo, - or vice versa.... :-)

Travis - another very nice looking cab..... I've promised my son to build him an amp or two, and I've been concidering farily similar layouts....

Quote Originally Posted by Halgeir Wold View Post
    That's most probably because the major amp makers of those days didn't bother to make a new layout, so they just flipped the head cab and put it a combo, - or vice versa.... :-)

Travis - another very nice looking cab..... I've promised my son to build him an amp or two, and I've been concidering farily similar layouts....
    But this layout is more like a head amp, so wouldn't the norm be the other way? I still don't get it. After digging around, the consensus seems to be upside down for combo amps to conserve space, but that implies you couldn't just lengthen the wires and put it right side up on the bottom...

It's not a hard and fast rule. Fender and Marshall do it that way. Some others just always mount them one way or the other, and that's usually tube/transformers facing down because that works best in combos and is not too important for heads. Dumble and clones are always tube down. Mesa Boogie goes back and forth at random, I think. It's really pretty irrelevant to the tubes. They often have retainers, but even if they don't if they're loose enough to wiggle free on their own, even through rough handling, you've got bigger problems and you can bet that you'll soon let some of the smoke out when the pins start arcing.
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 02-05-2014 at 10:35 AM.

Blog Entries
    John's right. Some are tube up, some tube down, and Ampeg made a flip-top version. Transport tube down, and play tube up. If there is enough ventilation, any method will work.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Tubes upside down or vice versa, soesn't really matter - as such, - as 'john points out , there are retainers to keep the tubes in place. It really boils down to looks, and to where do you like your controls to be. 3-4 inches down on the front plate on a combo, looks somewhat weird - at least to me. Longer leads to the controls is not a good idea in higher impedance cicuits like tube amps, for reasons of stability and crosstalk. A main concern with tube amps is heat, and how to get rid of it - traditional heat sinks doesn't work with tubes, and fans are usually not wanted. These are problems related to combos, - mainly.
    One of the great classics, the Vox AC30, have the controls at the top rear. and the output tubes on a shelf inwards in the cab, thus creating a heat trap - of sorts.... one of the more common problems with the AC30.......
    Last edited by Halgeir Wold; 02-05-2014 at 1:04 PM.

Blog Entries
    Nice work! Out of curiousity, why did you chose to make an open back for the speaker cabinet?
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Edwards View Post
    Here is my next cabinet or I should say cabinets. They are made from mahogany with Cuban mahogany racing stipe. Gonna be 2 bass cabinets. This is the smaller one of the two at 24x16". It will be sealed with 2 10" woofers and a 1" horn. I am using the electronics from a G&K cabinet. The larger one will be 24x24" and house 4 10" woofers and will be ported. I will add pics as I go.
    image.jpg
    I already like the look of this mate! Can't wait to see the finished product.