Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Guitar amp cabinet...

The open back cabs have a more organic sound. And the guy I built it for wanted it open.

I have had heads that are both ways. Some with the tubes down and some with the tubes up.

Blog Entries
    Travis,

I'm not sure I agree with you there. Sometimes in the studio, I'll triple mic a open backed amp/cabinet. I stand the amp ~3' from a corner and close mic off center on a cone. A second will be behind the open back at the corner. The third will be about 10' from the amp. Other times, I'll use a closed back cabinet with 2 mics. One close mic offcenter on a cone. The other out in the room. I don't have a big preference but think that the sounds created are different. That said, my favorite amp for recording is a 1955 Fender Champ.

For live sound, I think the closed back are easier to isolate and keep the stage volume down. I wasn't trying to critique your choice of a open backed cabinet, but wanted to understand why you did what you did.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Shawn,

The first cabinet I built was an open back with a single Eminence 12". Not sure of the exact model but it was a replacement for a Crate Blue Voodoo cab. We did a bunch of side by side comparisons at one of the music shops not far from my home. We tested everything they had in there. The manager had his favorite picked out before I got there, which was a closed back Egnater single 12". It matched the tweaker line of amps. He couldn't get over the extra tones you could hear from the open back I had built. That is kinda why I went with the open back. Just watching him switch between cabinets like a little kid was priceless! Made me feel real good to see someone have so much joy from something I built with my own hands.

I am sure it was the Cuban Mahogany that made the difference.

Most cabinets and combos you buy will be made out of ply or worse yet, MDF.

I guess it it all comes down to personal preference. They all have their place in a musicians arsenal.

For me, even if they didn't sound good, the looks would make up for it.

Travis