Thread: assembly table stability photos

assembly table stability photos

I am wanting to build this assembly table, my question is do you think it will be stable enough being the legs are so close to each other? The apron is 5 inches on 3 sides and 11 inches on the end to mount a vice. Any suggestions / critiques would be appreciated.

Building this small because of limited space in shop & planning on installing Rockler retractable casters.

Bottom.jpgheight.jpgoverhang.jpgTable.jpg

Floyd, I think it'll be alright. If you have any concerns once it is built, you could add a shelf at the bottom and put some weight on it. Maybe you could put a case on the bottom for some additional storage.

How are the long stretchers attached? Are you using some kind of bolt with a captive nut and going through the leg?

I prefer to use three legs on small shop tables. If the frame is so sturdy that it cannot flex you have to have some kind of adjustable fixture to keep the table from rocking. Small three legged tables always sit flat on the floor and they normally don't need casters or wheels because they are light enough to be moved easily.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 02-04-2014 at 10:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric DeSilva View Post
    How are the long stretchers attached? Are you using some kind of bolt with a captive nut and going through the leg?
    Eric, what I have in mind is to use some 7 - 8" lag-bolts in a countersunk hole not shown.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    I prefer to use three legs on small shop tables. If the frame is so sturdy that it cannot flex you have to have some kind of adjustable fixture to keep the table from rocking. Small three legged tables always sit flat on the floor and they normally don't need casters or wheels because they are light enough to be moved easily.
    Keith, can you go into a little more detail on the three leg table or post a photo/link?

Thank you

I have a concern that without some ballast in the bottom on the table, with the vice in an outboard position like that and that narrow of a stance, you will walk that table all over the place and possibly tip the table with any downward force. It might work better if the legs are splayed so that downward force works against them. Trying to think of someway to test your design. All I can come up with is if you might have a small table like that, you can clamp a piece of plywood to it to simulating that overhang. then push down on the overhang to see if the table is tippy.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

My caveat is that I've been accused of over-engineering things.

But, I'd be a little worried about lag-bolting into end grain on a piece that may take repeated stress. The stretchers on the short side at least are captive between two 2x4s, so they will resist racking. But the long ones just look like butt joints. What about either... (i) offsetting the stretchers so they are at a different height than the short stretchers, which would allow you to do a dado joint and lag bolt into long grain; (ii) using something like a bench bolt (http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...1637&p=31147)? The Veritas bench bolts are kind of spendy, and frankly I'd probably just put a captive nut in a slot big enough that I could put a wrench on it.