Thread: Engraving photos

Engraving photos

Im having a heck of a time trying to figure this out. I've inverted to negative, I've converted to grayscale, played with the dpi, put masking tape on the glass. I still just keep getting an image that you can't even tell what it is. I'll try to post the pic that I'm trying to do. I see amazing photos put on glass but I can't seem to have any luck.

40" x 28" Epilog fusion 40W. Adobe Illustrator

Give us some more info, such as your settings. Also post the original pic.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Blog Entries
    Without even seeing a photo of your engraving attempt, I'm going to take a wild stab and say you didn't make it a 1-bit image before engraving...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Converting to grey scale is not what you need, convert it to 1 bit black and white. I use either Stucki or Floyd-Steinberg. Don't be afraid of how it looks prior to engraving, it wont engrave like that.
    When engraving glass, there is no shading, it's either on or off, so through converting to 1bit black and white it creates somewhat of an illusion of shading, similarly to the shading you see in photographs in black and white newspapers. Same concept.

You will also need to invert your image prior to engraving also.

White snow on glass ain't going to be easy. You'll have to make it gray snow if you want it look like something other than a blob of white.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.