Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beginning with hand tools (mostly). Starting with a bench

Beginning with hand tools (mostly). Starting with a bench

Well, I've been lurking around here for long enough without introducing myself. I've been waiting until I had something to say. Well, i'm William and I am just getting started with hand tools. I mostly finished a Paul Sellers bench yesterday. I've got a couple of odds and ends to wrap up, but it is basically finished. Some of it is pretty ugly and rough, but some came out pretty good. I did use a miter saw and planer for some of the bench/apron parts, but I did all the joinery by hand. I know this is a hand tool forum and I hope I don't get flamed, but man is it difficult to build with hand tools without a bench. I thought I'd post a couple of pictures here for anybody else starting out. I had doubts of my ability to do this, but if I can do it so can you. Here are the pictures (ugly ones too)!

I haven't figured out the posting system yet to be able to post a caption with each picture, but you can kinda make out the progress. The hardest part was making the 1/2 mortices with a marginal quality (Woodriver) bench chisel. After I finished mine, I watched a video of someone using a real mortice chisel. That looked much more of a appropriate tool for the job! Now if it just wasn't so darned cold here (Colorado), I would be in the garage building something!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by william nelson colorado View Post
    The hardest part was making the 1/2 mortices with a marginal quality (Woodriver) bench chisel. After I finished mine, I watched a video of someone using a real mortice chisel. That looked much more of a appropriate tool for the job!
    I've chopped 1/2" mortises with a mortise chisel. It's not very fun. I'd much rather drill and pare for anything that big. Or maybe I just don't have a big enough mallet.

Nice bench.

Very nice! I'll be starting mine soon, any tips?

Garrett, I started with a pretty average 16-ish oz mallet, but I wound up switching to a bike (Park Tools) non-marring mallet that weighs about twice as much. It went smoother after that. However, the blows were pretty hard, hard enough that my chisel hand was kinda tingly for a few minutes afterward.

Trent, if you follow his instructions, it is pretty straightforward. I have the book/dvd combo "Working Wood" and together they helped better than either one alone, however, the measurements the book gives for the bearer are different from the video. Basically the video uses a bearer at full width and notched to fit. The book shows one that has been not notched, but is 1" shorter instead. When you look at the pictures, it will make more sense. I you use only one of those resources there isn't anything to point out. But if you use both, just remember about this. Other than that, I'd say just take your time. Rest when you are getting tired and it all comes together nicely.
    Last edited by william nelson colorado; 02-04-2014 at 4:39 PM.

Hi, William, Welcome to the Creek. Nice starter bench. You will definitely learn a lot hanging around here. This forum is loaded with Galoots who can do 'bout anything with hand tools. Lot of collective knowledge here. Enjoy the ride!

Quote Originally Posted by william nelson colorado View Post
    Park Tools
    Uh oh. A bicyclist. Road or mountain? And since you're stubborn enough to hammer out mortises, do you by chance ride a singlespeed?

Welcome to the creek. Lots of good information here, and some truly great people to talk to! Bench looks good, btw. Keep us updated on your progress!

Looks like a winner to me. Having a good bench makes everything in the shop 10x easier. Congrats.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Edward, yes there are some great people here. I've seen some fantastic work displayed.

Will, Ha! I ride mountain. I have owned a SS in the past, but my knees didn't like it. And to be honest, I didn't find it much fun. I think gears are awesome. However, with all the cold and snow we've been having there hasn't been any biking for a long while. Might have to try out a snow bike if it keeps up. I am looking forward to a spring break (mountain bike) trip to Fruita with the family.

Chris, thanks. I just came across your 2.0 WB last night. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Blog Entries
    William,

Welcome to the Creek. Don't get upset with me, I am not much of a football fan. (well sometimes I will root for the 49ers)

My bench build has been stalled by all the other things that keep needing attention. Though my current bench does most of what I need it to do.

This might help with posting images:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...s-of-June-2011

When you upload photos/images if you insert inline they will go to where the software thinks the cursor is resting. It isn't always in the last place it was left.

The Big Bonkers.jpg

When you are composing a post:

the inserted images will have text enclosed in a bracket; [, and text ;ATTACH=CONFIG]281683[/ATTACH, followed by another bracket; ]

It is possible to insert text between the end bracket of one attachment and the begin bracket of the next.

There are a few ways to do this. I tend to use line returns after an image. Others prefer to have the text lead in and trail out of their images. The choice is up to the person posting.

Hope this helps.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim, thanks for the information. Yes it helps, greatly. I will use this on my next post with pictures.

William,

Welcome to the Creek and congrats on your first bench. I also noticed the Park tools reference and also have spent a good bit of time in Denver. Native, but have been gone for a good long while.

What's your next project?

C

Christopher, thanks. My next couple of projects are 'shop' focused. I'm going to build my skills on items where if I mess up and it comes out ugly, it isn't a big deal. I'm going to go through Paul Sellers' dvd course. It starts with making a spoon.

But for projects, I'm going to build Tom Fidgens' saw bench, a miter shooting board, working toward a tool chest. After those things, I'll start on the inside furniture. My short list includes a chest of drawers, bed, end tables, and bookshelves. Not necessarily in that order. I figure that list will keep me busy for at least a year. And I'm always open to new ideas and advice, so it may change.

That's a great bench! Nothing ugly about it. Looks stable and well-built. Practicing joinery on a workbench is a great thing. Your joints look great.

Prashun, thanks for the encouragement!

This might have already been said, but (if its not too difficult) you may want to inset that vise into those apron. That's a great style of bench Paul advocates but having the vise not flush with the front takes a lot of the value out of those big aprons. I'm not sure why Mr. Sellers does it that way.

If you can't do that or don't want to that's all good...its you bench, and either way it is a great bench. But personally I would want the vise flush.

Biking is great! I'm a bike commuter. I ride my fixie to work most days...though when its snowy and or cold, like now, I just walk (being only about 1 1/4 mile from work makes either a good option)
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...