Thread: What finish?

What finish?

I recently purchased an antique dining room table at an auction. The table has been refinished, but I do not know what type of finish was used. Is there a way to determine if the finish was poly, varnish, or some type of oil (e.g. Watco or Tung Oil)? I would really like to put several coats of good poly on the table top, but am concerned about it sticking if the finish is an oil. Any suggestions?

Duane there is a sticky right at the top of this forum that will help answer your question.

FYI oil-based Poly is a type of varnish. Watco is an oil-vanish blend and Tung oil can be a multitude of things most are not tung oil.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

You should strip off the existing finish using a chemical stripper containing methylene chloride if you really want to end up with a good job. Don't attempt to sand it off as sanding will not remove the finish that has been absorbed into the wood.
    Howie.........

Pardon the bumblings of a newby........I see the sticky is "closed", and when I try to access I get a run time error. What am I doing wrong?

I agree that using stripper is the best way to begin a refinishing project. But if this is truly an antique table you don't want to slather it up with varnish, especially a polyurethane varnish. You will never get an authentic looking finish with such a top coat. Without knowing the style of the piece, and it's current appearance as well as the uses you intend for it, it is impossible to give good suggestions about a good finishing schedule.

>>>> I see the sticky is "closed"

That only means that no additions are allowed.

I don't know why you get an error notice. It's working fine for me.
    Howie.........

I can view the sticky......it's the link that it provides that I am having trouble with. Oh well, must just be my lucky day.

Duane,

Based on many suggestions here at SMC and articles in FWW and others, I put a coat of shellac over dyes, pigment stains, and existing finishes. Shellac is supposed to stick to anything, and then all standard finishes will to stick to shellac. My limited experience bears this out, and perhaps you do not need to strip.

There is much lore associated with what finishes are suitable for antiques, and this forum will provide you thinking on that subject.

I can view the sticky......it's the link that it provides that I am having trouble with. Oh well, must just be my lucky day.
    I believe Hardwood Lumber and More may have gone out of business.
    Scott would know for sure.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Steve has closed the store and retired. He will be bringing his articles back to the web soon.

I learned this approach from Steve, so all credit should be his.

Swell it doesn't want to paste... Google "what finish is it anyway? Wood magazine has an article that I think Steve wrote.

Anyone else having typing and pasting problems with
    this site?
    Last edited by Scott Holmes; 02-08-2014 at 5:11 PM.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Holmes View Post
    Steve has closed the store and retired. He will be bringing his articles back to the web soon.

I learned this approach from Steve, so all credit should be his.
    Good for Steve; bad for us.

You have frequently credited him as your "go to guy" when you had an issue to solve.

Am certain he was a great resource. I went to his advice regularly. Looking forward to when his articles gt back in the web-o-sphere.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.