Thread: Coin display table

Coin display table

I always browse this section but never post anything in it, so I thought I would contribute to it this time. I just finished up another coin table. I build this fairly often as they seem to be a hot item around here. This is designed to hold and display military type coins. It's made of walnut and the finishing schedule was 1 coat of American walnut solar lux dye diluted 50%, 1 coat of shellac to seal it in, Dark Walnut gel-stain, and 3 coats of pre cat urethane sprayed on. Everything else was wiped or brushed.

My wife and I were just playing around with the sheet and lighting to take pictures of this one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Nice looking table. I've seen lots of displays in the shape of military vehicles, airplanes, and ships but first dedicated table. Great work.

Nice work! The coins 'sit' in little 'pillows'---fabric over cotton over a wooden frame?

I have thousands of match books (remember when EVERY establishment handed out matches?) which I have collected over a lifetime. They are packed away in boxes (god help us if the place ever catches on fire!) and some day I would like to build cases to display them. I think about the wall shelf cabinets that guys use to display golf balls, but maybe a table like yours with a glass top and some arrangement to 'hold' the match books would need to be created.

Thanks for posting.

Thanks Jim. I see those a lot too so I tried something different with these.

Quote Originally Posted by Val Kosmider View Post
    I have thousands of match books . . . and some day I would like to build cases to display them.
    Val, I have boxes and bags of matchbooks, too. The thing is, there are so many of them that any display case couldn't begin to hold them all. I've been thinking of a way of displaying matchbooks on an entire wall, such as plexiglas mounted with only, like, 1/4" or 3/8", or so, distance from the wall, and dropping them down from the top to let them be displayed where they drop. There are many design and display challenges with this, of course. Some of my matchbooks have deteriorated over the years so it couldn't hurt to examine your collection to see how much of it is still displayable. I'll be interested to see what you come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Val Kosmider View Post
    Nice work! The coins 'sit' in little 'pillows'---fabric over cotton over a wooden frame?

I have thousands of match books (remember when EVERY establishment handed out matches?) which I have collected over a lifetime. They are packed away in boxes (god help us if the place ever catches on fire!) and some day I would like to build cases to display them. I think about the wall shelf cabinets that guys use to display golf balls, but maybe a table like yours with a glass top and some arrangement to 'hold' the match books would need to be created.
    Thanks for posting.

Thanks Val.The coins sit in slots I cut in the panel. They are about a 1/4" deep and angled back at 7 or 8 degrees, cut to the width of the coins. You can see it better in this picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images