Thread: Total newbie with first project

Question Total newbie with first project

So I am redoing my office and have been looking at live wood slab desks like this –
    il_570xN.545236497_ooz7.jpg

I figure it can't be that hard to make (hehe) so I went and bough a slab of black walnut which is already planed and kiln dried. I got a good price on it - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:L:OC:US:3160

I am hoping all I will need to do is sand/finish it and put on some legs. It does have some slight bowing/cupping but am hoping it will work (will see when it arrives today). Anyway, I have no idea what I am doing!

First I was wondering if there are any good online instructional videos you all can recommend? I found some on youtube but everyone says something different and I am not sure who to follow! I am looking for basic instruction on how to sand the wood (what to start and end with and everything in between) and how to finish it with stain/oil/poly/etc.

Second, what do you all recommend for the finish taking in mind the type of wood, the fact that I am a beginner and I will be using this as a small writing desk? I will have a protective desk pad down so I am not writing directly on the wood. I don't want the wood to be super shiny as I like a more natural look but I do want it to be protected. I am hoping the color is what I think and I will just need a natural finish. However, if I wanted to stain it to be a little warmer/deeper in color but without losing all the detail of the wood how would I go about that?

Sorry this is so long and I am so clueless! If you all could just point me in a direction to get started I will figure out the rest!

Thanks so much!!!

If you just want to sand it to prepare for a finsh you can do that by hand. I'm just going to assume that you don't have any power sanders since your so new to woodworking. To make it easy for you I would go to your local home center and pick up a sanding block, some 180 grit paper and some 220 grit paper. You just wrap tha paper around the sanding block to use it. I would then take a pencil and lightly draw some lines every couple of inches across your top. You can use these to gauge your sanding. Start sanding the top with the 180grit paper going with the grain. This is down the length of your slab rather than across the width.

Once you have sanded the whole top and the pencil lines are gone, sweep, wipe, blow, or vacuum the dust off and sand again with the 220 grit. You shouldn't need to put pencil lines down again. Just sand the whole top until everything is nice and smooth and then clean it off.

I'm not a finishing expert so somebody should be along shortly with some good advice.

This is not the only way to prep the top, but it should be easy and inexpensive for a beginner. Good luck.

I should have mentioned I do have some woodworking tools. I have a workshop in the basement with all sorts of saws and such that my father left when I bought the house. I do have a power sander that I used to rough up some shiny paneling so I could paint it but I would be afraid to use it on this for fear of going overboard with it.....

I sure hate to see a pretty piece of wood like that stained. I think you'll find walnut gets a very nice, deep color when finished. I personally like to use shellac on it because I find oil makes it too dark for my liking. I definitely like to use it as a sanding sealer. Others will likely disagree.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the power sander unless it's a belt sander. Those tend to get away from me. A random orbital sander works very nicely. Just work through the grits up to 220. Before finishing you might wet the surface with distilled water to raise the grain. When it dries, sand with 220 again to get rid of the raised grain. You might do this a couple of times. After that it should be ready to finish as you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Darney View Post
    I sure hate to see a pretty piece of wood like that stained. I think you'll find walnut gets a very nice, deep color when finished. I personally like to use shellac on it because I find oil makes it too dark for my liking. I definitely like to use it as a sanding sealer. Others will likely disagree.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the power sander unless it's a belt sander. Those tend to get away from me. A random orbital sander works very nicely. Just work through the grits up to 220. Before finishing you might wet the surface with distilled water to raise the grain. When it dries, sand with 220 again to get rid of the raised grain. You might do this a couple of times. After that it should be ready to finish as you like.
    Yes, I am thinking of a natural finish (no stain) as it just arrived and it is perfect!!!

First of all, welcome to this forum. I sure all here will appreciate your moxie and "I can do this" attitude.

Second, I would be my suggestion you first decide which side of the slab you want facing up . . and then do all your testing and initial learning on the other (eventual bottom) side.

I love walnut and I particularly like walnut with shellac. I use a first coat of orange dewaxed shellac which seems to "POP" the grain, and then a bunch more coats of blonde or superblonde (essentially clear).

I got my last batch of shellac flakes from Vijay at sales@shellacfinishes.biz and was pleased.