Thread: Black Oxide with a CO2

Black Oxide with a CO2

Anyone have luck engraving on black oxide steel with a CO2 laser?
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

Works fine, no issues. Turns it grayish. Not sure if it's removing it all together or what. I did 1000's of them last year. They weren't heat treated or anything, just plain old cold rolled steel, black oxided.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Steve
    What was your power setting? I've tried black oxide and the result is such a dark gray that it's barely noticeable. Thinking I may not have enough power.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Steve
    What was your power setting? I've tried black oxide and the result is such a dark gray that it's barely noticeable. Thinking I may not have enough power.
    100% power, 60% speed, but I recall it wasn't real picky.
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Steve
    thanks.

I ran it high and slow and repeated it but it didn't satisfy me or the customer.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Sometimes less is more. I've had various anodized parts brought to me that when done at my normal settings would only go a dark gray. I found out that particular anodizing liked 1/4 my normal power setting. I've had similar results with a few guns and black coated SS medical parts. Sometimes the results are great, sometimes not, seems it's always a crap shoot. But I always start light, at about 20% power on that kind of stuff, then work up. Because if you start heavy, there's no going back.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Mike, here's a reference photo. Customer supplied the artwork, so don't blame me

blackoxide.jpg

Steve

That's very good. Mine was 50% darker--legible but not good.

Kev:

Black oxide rather than anodized.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Mike, I mentioned 'black guns' and SS parts, those were oxide coated, I should've pointed it out. I threw in anodized simply because I find the same issues with power settings on anodized too--
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I just did a test on a black oxide leatherman tool. The mark was a gold colour, some other black oxide I've done is grey.. I run sloooow and hot.. 1200 dpi at 8% speed seems to work.. Testing on black oxide has shown that if you don't get a good mark, do it again slower.. It seems you can't go to slow or too hot.. hmmm that sounds like the old claim you can't put too much water on a nuclear reactor..It can be interpreted both ways.. In this case sloooow & hottt works...
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it