Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clarification on Dust Collector Design

Noise Level of Dust Collection System
    Over the weekend one of my daughters suggested I create a "noise level test" and use the free Decibel 10 iPhone Application to record those noise levels for the system described in this thread. Unfortunately, I don't have a way to calibrate this recording device, so the results are "questionable" at best - though they do intuitively seem to reflect what is happening in the shop. Attached is a screenshot of how the interface appears on the iPhone ... terrifically simple to use. You can also send the results via e-mail to Excel for graphing purposes. Having done that, see the results of one test attached from one of the graphs created in Excel. This shows a simple test in which I do the following over a one minute period.

1. ambient noise level
    2. switch on RPC
    3. remotely activate cyclone (8 second ramp up)
    4. start the slider saw (300mm blade in down position)
    5. turn off slider
    6. turn off cyclone
    7. turn off RPC

I'm sure engaging the blade with wood, would have been very instructive. Still it is a helpful test for me ... and a reminder to wear hearing protection when operating the equipment. The last image is a screenshot of the table G-15 in OSHA's noise level guide.

CycloneNoise.png
    Decibel10_Output.jpg
    OSHA_TableG-15.png

Blog Entries
    Interesting, thanks. I particularly like the graphing function. I frequently use the IPhone dB metering app just to see how loud some things are, like concerts. But I have a RadioShack meter that I used for a YouTube video of my DC at work. I don't know how accurate it is either, but both will give a relative sound level. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X8qwMqm3Ek
    NOW you tell me...

FWIW one of my customers used a phone app for measuring the noise levels on a CV cyclone and the figures were very low compared to a standalone decibel meter. Your ear is the real test, or maybe your neighbour's ear!
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Quote Originally Posted by Michael W. Clark View Post
    Nice looking shop Bill! (And DC System) If you have any more pictures, I'm sure it won't hurt anyone's feelings.
    Indeed ... friend stopped by the other day and noted that I have the same cupola he does ... none! Rome wasn't built in a day!

Shop.jpg