Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need air compressor recommendation

Need air compressor recommendation

I need to upgrade my air compressor so that I can spray clear finishes (LVLP) and have decided to get a mid size compressor that can produce at least 6 CFM at 40 psi. I don’t have the room for something bigger than about 30 gallons. I have narrowed it down to 4 units and am interested in any feedback you may have on quality, output, noise level, customer service, etc. All can be run at 230 volts and are oil lubed, belt driven except for the last one which runs at 115 v and is oilless. The last one is especially interesting because it is very quiet on a You-tube video (70 dB) and has a much smaller tank and lower price than the others. Thanks much!

1. Campbell Hausfeld, VT 6271: 3 hp, 26 gall, 11.5 CFM at 40 psi, 3 yr warranty, $630.
    2. Industrial Air, ILA 1883054: 1.9 hp, 30 gall, 7 CFM at 40 psi, 2 yr warranty, $549.
    3. Chicago Pneumatic, RCP-226VP: 2 hp, 26 gall, 8.3 CFM at 40 psi, 1 yr warranty, $680.
    4. GMC Syclone, 4620A: 2 hp, 4.6 gall, 7 CFM at 40 psi, 1 yr warranty, $369.

My vote would go for the Cambell Hausfeld first and the Industrial Air second. The last two would not make the list. They are inferior products compared to the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    My vote would go for the Cambell Hausfeld first and the Industrial Air second. The last two would not make the list. They are inferior products compared to the others.
    I always thought Chicago Pneumatic was a better line of air tools???
    Not to be confused with Harbor Freight Chicago Electric brand.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

At that price point/size, they're all coming out of the same southeast asia factory anyway, so brand pretty much only buys you a color of paint. From when I bought my 60gal, I *think* I remember that the OEM/US Importer for the pieces that make up all of these compressors is Sanborn, but memory is a little fuzzy because it's been about 5 years and I don't actually care :lol:

That's a long way of saying I'd go with whichever one you can get the best deal on and not worry about brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    I always thought Chicago Pneumatic was a better line of air tools???
    Not to be confused with Harbor Freight Chicago Electric brand.
    Dave, they used to be, another victim of some bean counter cheapening up a product to stand out on a shelf some place. Same as all the rest now. IMHO, the only common air tool maker that is worth buying a brand on is Ingersol Rand, and even some of their low end stuff is suspiciously cheap.

The upright IR and Puma 20gal are super nice. Looks to be made in the same place. Both 2 stage oil filled and 5.5cfm at 90psi.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I would stay away from most of those brands. Dewalt stuff has always been good for me, and they have a decent compressor in that range

http://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/dewalt-d55168#specs

All the brands are suspect except a very few. Most former name brands owned by big companies are driving toward the bottom because the buying public wants something cheap. #4 on your list is not to be considered at all, at least for your requirements.

Do you want a wheeled portable? Do you want a horizontal tank?

Rolair is very good at giving you correct info on their website and being honest about sound level.

The Dewalt in the link above is an Emglo compressor. Were excellent but Stanley Black & Decker bought Emglo and is driving them toward the bottom as are most big companies.

Jim try this good price and foot print is about the same as a 30 gal. I picked one up last year has been very good so far.Tom $499 at ACE Hardware free shipping https://www.google.com/#q=campbell+h...92100329298676

Take a look at this Ingersoll-Rand "Garage Mate". 30 Gallon tank, 5.7 cfm at 90 psi. 15 amp 115v - so you can practically use it anywhere

Amazon is selling it for $950 and there are a couple of other sites that have it a little lower
    http://www.amazon.com/Ingersoll-Rand.../dp/B000E27JW6
    http://www.tools-plus.com/ingersoll-rand-20103610.html

BUT - Northern tools has it on sale for $699 with free shipping (looks like it is dropped shipped straight from the factory)

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...9041_200339041

I would certainly add this one to your list...

(if you want it even cheaper - Amazon Warehouse has one at $603 - probably a customer return)
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used
    Last edited by John Huds0n; 02-07-2014 at 1:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jim gossage View Post
    I need to upgrade my air compressor so that I can spray clear finishes (LVLP) and have decided to get a mid size compressor that can produce at least 6 CFM at 40 psi. I don’t have the room for something bigger than about 30 gallons. I have narrowed it down to 4 units and am interested in any feedback you may have on quality, output, noise level, customer service, etc. All can be run at 230 volts and are oil lubed, belt driven except for the last one which runs at 115 v and is oilless. The last one is especially interesting because it is very quiet on a You-tube video (70 dB) and has a much smaller tank and lower price than the others. Thanks much!

1. Campbell Hausfeld, VT 6271: 3 hp, 26 gall, 11.5 CFM at 40 psi, 3 yr warranty, $630.
    2. Industrial Air, ILA 1883054: 1.9 hp, 30 gall, 7 CFM at 40 psi, 2 yr warranty, $549.
    3. Chicago Pneumatic, RCP-226VP: 2 hp, 26 gall, 8.3 CFM at 40 psi, 1 yr warranty, $680.
    4. GMC Syclone, 4620A: 2 hp, 4.6 gall, 7 CFM at 40 psi, 1 yr warranty, $369.
    Any reason you hadn't considered going with a turbine system instead? Those compressors all seem a bit marginal for spraying.

Blog Entries
    Check out this one from IR:
    http://www.factoryauthorizedoutlet.c...ght-11-3-cfm-s

This is the one I have (or very similar)
    Its quite a bit bigger at about the same price. I use it for everything I do in the shop, from nail gun to spray painting.
    Because of the vertical tank design it has a pretty small foot print.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 02-07-2014 at 2:57 PM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim German View Post
    I would stay away from most of those brands. Dewalt stuff has always been good for me, and they have a decent compressor in that range

http://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/dewalt-d55168#specs
    Jim,
    Why would you stay away from most of those? They have gotten mostly good reviews. How quiet is your Dewalt?

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hotchkin View Post
    Jim try this good price and foot print is about the same as a 30 gal. I picked one up last year has been very good so far.Tom $499 at ACE Hardware free shipping https://www.google.com/#q=campbell+h...92100329298676
    Tom, how quiet is it?

You can cross the GMC off the list there isn't any way a 4.6 gallon tank can keep up paint spraying. Have you looked at the turbine systems for spraying? I was in the same boat, my compressor is not powerful enough for spraying. I just got the Earlex 6900 Spray Station and I really like it. I paid less then $400 for mine and so far I have done Clear Poly and Acrylic Latex paint with great results. It's also extremely easy for someone new to spraying to use, there are only controls for paint flow and the 3 spray pattern settings.