Thread: Screaming Dust Collection Hose!?

Question Screaming Dust Collection Hose!?

Hi Everyone,

Typically, I run 4 inch hose to my dust collector, but for some tools like my smaller 12" bandsaw and my miter saw, I run 2 1/2" hose with a 2.5" -> 4" adapter at the dust collector. Whenever I use the 2 1/2" setup, when the dust collector is up to speed, it starts to generate a piercing whistling sound (I imagine that this is a whorling vortex created inside the clear flexible collection hose). Has anyone had this experience, and more importantly, and suggestions as to how to stop it (besides not using 2 1/2" hose?).

Thanks!

...mike

2. You can get some very strange harmonics with air flowing through things. Try little modifications ... pinch the hose a bit to see if it changes the noise, try running the DC with the 2 1/2" hose detached from the adapter, etc. Very often you are in a "sweet spot" and a minor change to the backpressure in the hose will solve the problem. (My experience isn't with a DC, but with a large commercial boiler that our engineers finally corrected, but at a lot of cost and trouble. The fix was a relatively simple baffle.)

If removing the small hose solves the noise, you might try using a tee, with a blast gate that you can partially open to help satisfy the air demand of the DC, just ahead of the adapter down to 2 1/2".

It's best to reduce at the tool, not at the collector, but you will still have a nasty noise level with such a small port. Franks suggestion to reduce SP by opening up a gate on a wye is also a good thought...it will not materially reduce "performance" on the small port since it can't move much air there anyway and will reduce noise a bit since the velocity will drop in the small port. The air "rushing" through the small opening is what is causing the howling. (If it were a very small hole, it would be a whistle!)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Smile Thanks for suggestions!

Thanks for your suggestions! Letting a bit of air in makes a huge difference in the sound, and doesn't seem to impact the performance that much. Thanks again!

...mike

My blade guard on my TS produces a loud noise and I found drilling a 1/4" hole on the sides of the guard elminated the problem.

6. Its really astounding how little you have to do sometimes to change the noise. I've always been surprised by that, but I suppose its because I really don't understand the underlying physics ... I think it was Arthur C. Clarke that said something like any modern technology is indistinguishable from "magic" to those ignorant of the technology.

Add a 4” to 2x 2.5” hose at the tool. Place second hose somewhere useful