Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: wait or weight

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    That's a specific service chosen by the shipper, not something they just randomly do. Fedex has the same service. Its a less expensive option commonly used for "free" shipping. For me, if it goes UPS, I'll always get it the next day after USPS gets it. Fedex, the same day because they drop it off at USPS early in the morning. Obviously that will vary by location. UPS will also skip the USPS step if you have another package being delivered the same day to your address---as long as they actually deliver to you that day. Otherwise both sit on the truck until they decide to actually deliver even though the mail might have come for a couple days.
    I want to thank everyone for the information , the carton came today BUT what time I can not tell because the driver fail to open the deck gate and the carton could not be seen , if I buy something from west coast , will USPS handle the shipment all of the way or do UPS help ? will the carton come by train , planes or trucks ? how do DHS figure in the transport of freight ?

I just got a whole pile of packages from the USPS. They all came a day earlier than the estimated delivery date. I still have a UPS package coming that is supposed to be here tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    Is it really that hard to clear the snow in front of your mailbox? There were a few times early this winter nobody cleared the snow in front of the mailboxes and both my newspaper and mail got delivered. For the last 6 to 8 weeks I've cleared the snow in front of the mailboxes after every snowfall. It isn't perfect because the older snow has hardened into a brick, but it was better than it was. I have a larger snow blower than the neighbor so it is easier for me to do.
    Yes, in fact it is. Here in Minnesota we have had a great deal of snow, and then extreme and extended periods of cold. So, couple that with no melting, ie: the January thaw never showed up, there 'snow' around my mailbox is more resembling a small iceberg. I use my snow blower, however, it doesn't grind ice. I think it will only get worse until sometime in March since the groundhog has predicted at least 6 more weeks of snow. Every new snow fall I expect to get a 'please clear away the snow from your mailbox' card from my mail delivery person's.
    Last edited by Pat Barry; 02-10-2014 at 7:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Yes, in fact it is. Here in Minnesota we have had a great deal of snow, and then extreme and extended periods of cold. So, couple that with no melting, ie: the January thaw never showed up, there 'snow' around my mailbox is more resembling a small iceberg. I use my snow blower, however, it doesn't grind ice. I think it will only get worse until sometime in March since the groundhog has predicted at least 6 more weeks of snow. Every new snow fall I expect to get a 'please clear away the snow from your mailbox' card from my mail delivery person's.
    I probably live within 10 miles of you so I know what the weather has been like. I've not had that much trouble keeping my mailbox clear of snow, but you might live on a road where the plow pushes up a lot of snow like a cul de sac or something. There is a lot of ice around my mailbox now and it might be harder the next time it snows.

Yeah Brian, I know - I was just jerking your chain a bit. I'm hoping for a bit of sun and a warm enough day to get out and chip away some of the ice build-up. It faces west so its a late afternoon project. The big problem is the plow never really got close to the mailbox to begin with and now every snow fall they end up further away because of all the ice. That and my 'neighbor' had a plow service that came in and plowed the snow from his driveway out into the street and then up against the side of the street where my mailbox is, right after I cleared it all away. So all that together and my mailbox area is recessed from the street plow line and now becomes a dumping ground for the plow every time he comes by. Its kind of a no win situation right now

I have a package "due" this week. Expect it to be late and tracking to show it taking a stop in Bangladesh on its way from Arkansas to Alabama.

Its okay. I know and understand that stuff happens. Its not a specfic persons fault. Not the end of the world either. I just hope my customers have a similar outlook when I weigh the risk/reward of their demands and pick the safest/easiest route.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Whit View Post
    I have a package "due" this week. Expect it to be late and tracking to show it taking a stop in Bangladesh on its way from Arkansas to Alabama.

Its okay. I know and understand that stuff happens. Its not a specfic persons fault. Not the end of the world either. I just hope my customers have a similar outlook when I weigh the risk/reward of their demands and pick the safest/easiest route.
    what airport will your package take a tour of ? every packages need a stamp showing every stop that it went to

Blog Entries
    In my experience, FedEx Express is the best service, but by far the most expensive. I have had very poor experiences with FedEx Ground/Home.
    My understanding is they are in effect two different companies. At my old address I would tell shippers to not use FedEx Ground. Most FedEx Ground routes are privately operated. Even though we lived in a well established residential area they usually couldn't find us.

Now my neighbor is the "private operator" for FedEx Ground and knows were we live. The downside is we are the last delivery on the route.

Expect it to be late and tracking to show it taking a stop in Bangladesh on its way from Arkansas to Alabama.
    Maybe it needs one more upgrade before delivery...

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)