Thread: Heirloom cradle design help.

Heirloom cradle design help.

I've been comissoned by a customer to build a cradle for her oldest daughter who is expecting. The idea is that each of her four daughters will use it as the have children.
    My initial design idea is to either inlay or apply a tree silhouette on the end of the cradle, and have two sets of two bird silhouettes flying up each side, representing each daughter and her husband.
    My question is, how would you incoperate the names of the children as they are born? I have a few ideas but I would like to see what ya'll come up with before I lead you with what I'm thinking.

A decorative sliding dovetail along all four sides. Then, as kids are born, you prepare a small panel with the name engraved upon it, and slide it into the dovetail. You could also prepare all the panels in advance, in complementary clearcoated woods. As each child is born, remove a panel, engrave, clearcoat and return.

Maybe it isn't a good idea to get completely cemented into the idea that all four daughters will have kids, or that each daughter will have only one husband In her life.

Jamie, I think that whole thing is the business of the customer, not any of us.

If you plan on inlaying the names, are you going to do it in the years to come? If so, I would keep the surface in question free of non-removable obsticles so you can just stand it on end and carve the names with a router for the inlay.

wayne