Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shop Bot desk top compared to a Stinger 1

Shop Bot desk top compared to a Stinger 1

I have been looking at CNCs a lot lately trying to figure out what would work best for me. I would like some 3d capabilities as well as being able to engrave in non ferrous metal. Brass, and perhaps some stainless at best. I just have one problem. I don't have a clue what I am looking at. Every brand and their brother seems to offer a CNC these days. But rarely is there a head to head comparison. SO I have been leaning toward the Stinger 1 and a Shop Bot, so far. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bontz View Post
    I have been looking at CNCs a lot lately trying to figure out what would work best for me. I would like some 3d capabilities as well as being able to engrave in non ferrous metal. Brass, and perhaps some stainless at best. I just have one problem. I don't have a clue what I am looking at. Every brand and their brother seems to offer a CNC these days. But rarely is there a head to head comparison. SO I have been leaning toward the Stinger 1 and a Shop Bot, so far. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.
    Ron,

The machines you listed are designed for wood and other soft materials. Most of the router-based CNCs don't do too well with harder metals, at best you might be able to slowly and shallowly cut aluminum.

If you truly want to work metals, you'll probably need to look at a CNC mill. There is a good community around converting inexpensive Grizzly, Harbor Freight, and other "Taig" design mills into CNC operation.

When you say 3D, do you truly mean carving on every side of material or are you referring to variable depths of cuts on one side (typically called 2.5D)? 2.5D is easy for typical CNC machines, the ability to work four sides but not the ends (sometimes referred to as "2.75D") isn't a whole lot more expensive, but getting to full 3D becomes increasingly complicated in machine and software cost.

I suggest you wander over to CNCZone for more research into hardware and software (including DIY machines). Also may want to visit Vectric's site and forum for one popular design package's capabilities and what people are doing with it. There are other software packages available, too.

Roy
    Roy
    CorelDraw 12, Inkscape, TurboCAD 19
    Homemade 3-axis 18x51" CNC router
    Vectric Aspire 8, PhotoVCarve, Mach 3
    EurekaZone track saw system

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Nielsen View Post
    The machines you listed are designed for wood and other soft materials. Most of the router-based CNCs don't do too well with harder metals, at best you might be able to slowly and shallowly cut aluminum.
    I think that's a bit misleading, Roy... the Stinger is certainly capable of doing more than just shallow engraving of Aluminum. It won't have the accuracy of a Taig mill or similar, but it will happily cut large chunks of aluminum down to your desired project.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

the smaller nickel is aluminum cut on a Shopbot desktop

nickel.jpg

I believe you have selected a couple of the better choices among the dozens of alternatives. I chose the Stinger I because it provides twice the cutting area and is a much heavier duty machine than the Shopbot. As an example, the Stinger weighs 350 pounds whereas the Shopbot desktop weighs 102 pounds plus router weight. If you don't want to run it hard or don't need the larger cutting area, then the Shopbot would probably work just fine. Either one will engrave aluminum, copper and some other softer alloys and either one will do precision 3-D wood carvings with the right bits and machine setup.

Thanks for the replies. The software is yet another issue. I hear a lot about Vetric for 3d. Any further thoughts? It seems pretty expensive.

Ron you are welcome to come to Bloomington IL and see my machines anytime. I have a 4X4 spindled router and a CNC knee mill - neither benchtop nor the price of a stinger 1. Lot of sweat equity though.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Sounds like a road trip is in the works. I may just have to take you up on that. I'll be in touch. THanks

I would not consider the ShopBot desk top machine to be in the same class as the Stinger I. If you look closely at the specifications for both machines I think you will agree that there are major differences. Thus these two machines are not designed for the same market although they overlap which is pretty common.

I consider the ShopBot desk top machine to be more of a rotary engraver style machine. It does offer considerable CNC Routing capability. The Stinger line of CNC Routers are just that, routers that are designed for typical routing operations and even though you can engrave with a CNC machine it isn't their strong point.

Over the last decade as CNC Routers have gained popularity they have not had much of an impact on the traditional rotary engraving market which has long had its grip on both traditional and precision engraving services.

Last Spring I was able to see both of these machines operate at Jim McGrew's Aspire gathering in Columbia South Carolina.

Ron,

We have several new advertising sponsors who are offering both laser and CNC machines at a variety of price points. You might look at our list of sponsors and visit their web sites, I was surprised to see how many new machines are on the market these days. I am not trying to dissuade you from either the ShopBot or CAMaster line of machines as they are both solid performers.....I have owned CNC Routers from both companies.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/advertisers.php

Hey Keith,

I wanted to check out the SMC sponsors so I clicked on your link. The list is empty on my computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bontz View Post
    Thanks for the replies. The software is yet another issue. I hear a lot about Vetric for 3d. Any further thoughts? It seems pretty expensive.
    Ron,

Take a look at the Vectric Forum to see what folks are doing with the different offerings. You can also download highly functional demo versions to try out.

There is other software available, including some free. Most other commercial software is more expensive to get around the same feature sets (some start out less, but people find they need add-ons that are built in the Vectric apps). The free software tends to be very limited feature wise or very rough. I've been primarily a Linux/open source user since the late 90's, but a little time researching options and using the Vectric demos quickly made it a no brainer for me to purchase VCarve Pro. Another nice thing about Vectric is that they do have a pretty reasonable upgrade path from the lesser featured apps to the higher ones.
    Roy

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    I think that's a bit misleading, Roy... the Stinger is certainly capable of doing more than just shallow engraving of Aluminum. It won't have the accuracy of a Taig mill or similar, but it will happily cut large chunks of aluminum down to your desired project.
    Dan,

Although I don't have any personal experience yet cutting aluminum, all the references I've seen suggest a few hundredth's of an inch per pass is about maximum for CNC routers using the typical woodworking router as a spindle. What kind of spindle are you running and what are you calling deep passes?
    Roy

Blog Entries
    Roy,

Check out this video direct from CAMaster:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Xc4mnloO08

1/8" aluminum gets chewed up in short order...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    Hey Keith,

I wanted to check out the SMC sponsors so I clicked on your link. The list is empty on my computer.
    Art,

The link works for me, try the Sponsors link at the top of the page on the blue menu bar or click on Our Advertisers List in my signature.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 02-13-2014 at 5:00 AM.