Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Table Saw overhead dust collection/ Grizzly - PSI experience

Table Saw overhead dust collection/ Grizzly - PSI experience

Having exposed myself last year to enough Red Cedar dust to over sensitize myself, I am in the process of upgrading my dust collection.

The final link is collection above the table saw blade. I've looked at most of the shop built solutions on this site, and have considered building my own boom (I can fabricate and weld).

But when I get to the actual shroud at the blade, it appears I will spend quite a bit of time fiddling with that to make it safe and convenient, so I have considered just buying that part of the Grizzly system, but when checking on line, that part doesn't seem to be available separately. I haven't checked on the PSI part yet. And I haven't tried calling Grizzly support to see if they can provide the part.

So, I may purchase one or the other of these systems, or just the shroud. The ability to get it out of the way easily when necessary, and durability are my two major concerns. I can deal with issues with the boom portion.

What can you folks tell me??

Check out the Shark Guard from Lee Styron.

What kind of saw do you have?

MK

I have a unisaw and currently run a 4" outlet on the cabinet. If I'm not mistaken, the Shark Guard attached where a splitter would? I'm not as concerned with guarding as I am with collecting, and so far, the overhead units appeal much more to me.

2 words SHARK GUARD!!!!

The shark guard has a hose attachment so you can catch the above the table sawdust. You have to rig your own support, I just hung a pipe overhead and drop a hose down to the shark guard. It does use the splitter to carry the weight, and only occasionally do you have to remove it, such as for dados, or thin cuts where the guard is between the blade and the fence. It works better than any other guard I have ever used, and the dust collection makes it a must have.

+1 on the Shark Guard

Quote Originally Posted by Mikail Khan View Post
    Check out the Shark Guard from Lee Styron. What kind of saw do you have? MK
    +1 on the shark guard. I have one and another on order. Actually my spot in line just came up. Very effective for safety with the riving knife and great DC up top.
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

More is DEFINITELY more!!!

Here's a pic of my DC support. The shark guard was still on order, but here's one way it can be done.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

More is DEFINITELY more!!!

Well, Thanks to all of you.

The Shark guard is highly recommended, so I went to the website, and it has a 4 month lead time, as it was several months ago when I first started investigating my options.

I just recently was referred to some plans by a Gordon Sampson for an overhead guard/dust collector. I had seen the unit previously but wasn't aware plans were available. I didn't pursue it any further because I haven't found 3/8" Lexan locally available. Now that I have a set of plans, which will save me much time, I will find a source of 3/8" material, even if I have to order it.

By the way, Sampson's unit has been referred to as the "Badger Pond basket". Maybe somebody here has built one and can provide their experience with it??

Many thanks to all of you for your responses.

10. Fred, where did you find the plans? I am interesred in a overhead DC for my TS.

I found the overhead plans by Gordon Sampson here: http://www.woodcentral.com/bparticles/blade_guard.pdf. Originally off Badger Pond forum, archived and made available on WoodCentral.

I had an Excalibur overhead guard which I really liked, as it could be used for non through cuts.

Excalibur sell just the guard without the mount, I believe it's called the ceiling mount model.

Quote Originally Posted by fred klotz View Post

... I didn't pursue it any further because I haven't found 3/8" Lexan locally available.
    Wow. 3/8" lexan is heavy duty stuff. For dust collection, I would think you could get by with thinner stock, say 1/8", and save yourself some money. I bet most of the commercial units use 1/8" or so. But most commercially available overhead guards I've looked at claim not be an actual guard but just for dust collection.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Fred,

In a general way the thicker the PC, the less the impact resistance. Counter-intuitive, but borne out by reams of data laboriously generated by universities, and also practical testing of headlight covers, and windows etc. 1/8 inch PC sheet has about 8 times the Notched Izod impact resistance per unit of thickness of 1/4 inch PC. Even allowing for the extra thickness of the 1/4 inch sheet, that means that the 1/8 inch configuration would absorb 4 times more energy before fracture. Some will argue that Notched Izod impact is not the best test because there are no notches in the design. However PC scratches very easily, and as a part of a dust collection system it will develop many fine scratches (notches).

I have no idea what energy is generated by projectiles coming off a table saw blade, but going from 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch, or even 3/8 inch PC is not likely to improve the ability of the guard to safely contain everything coming its way.

Perhaps in another thread we could survey owners of the popular guards to see if there have been any cracks or failures.

Blog Entries
    The polycarbonate on the SharkGuard measures 5/32". I have had plenty of offcuts hit the inside with no apparent damage.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 02-10-2014 at 6:39 PM.
    NOW you tell me...