Thread: Copper clad saw blade???

Copper clad saw blade???

I bet one of you can shed some light on this. The kiddo and I were going through a pile of auction loot, and found a saw I haven't seen before. It's the right one, it's got a copper clad blade. It's in very good condition, has definitely been used, and is not a show saw or something like that. Also has strange bolts and nuts. I can't find any markings except the 8 stamped on the heel.

Anyone know anything about these? I've never seen one.

Is it copper clad, or was it used to cut copper pipe?

No, it's very well clad. The deeper color is from wear, but the camera made it more distinct than it really is. Copper (I'm assuming because of a little spot of green tarnish) covers all parts of the blade. The teeth are very sharp, and the blade is magnetic to a strong magnet, so I'm assuming they are cut into steel.

I have a few tools that are made from copper/beryllium so it won't spark, and the saws color is similar, maybe a little brighter.

Made to be used in a flammable or highly corrosive environment.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Harry, I don't remember seeing one before, I wonder who made it, and when. Any ideas?

You have a musical saw! It is missing the outside ring of the saw nuts. I had a saw like this once but I sold it to Mike Stemple in short order...

http://www.sawlady.com/DifferentSaws.htm
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Dillinger View Post
    You have a musical saw! It is missing the outside ring of the saw nuts. I had a saw like this once but I sold it to Mike Stemple in short order...

http://www.sawlady.com/DifferentSaws.htm
    Zach, I think you nailed it. I wonder why someone decided to use it at some point, but it's a match. I did notice when I first handled it that it made the singing saw sound easily, while I have no idea how to play one, I'm guessing that would be an attribute. Wow, $24 in the 20's, I paid $5 for 3 beautiful Keen Kutters and this. I guess musical saws were a cruddy investment!

For everyones info, I dug out the violin bow, and tried to play the saw. I can't get it to make a sound, but, I think it's operator error.