Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Tools to shape Axe Handle for Axe Eye?

What Tools to shape Axe Handle for Axe Eye?

I need to fit some hickory axe handles a few axe heads (I'm not making the handles -- just shaping the eye portion to fit the axe head). I was planning to do this with my go-to Nicholson #49 rasp, but it occurred to me that this forum might know of a particular scraper/rasp/? or process that would work a lot better. So, what tools or process would you use to accomplish this?

For those of you who like axes, below are the two candidates: a 5+lb Kelly Perfect Jersey from Charleston, w.v. ca 1904-1930 and a 4lb True Temper / Kelly Perfect Jersey pattern from a slightly later era. Pictures taken prior to sharpening.

Blog Entries
    I was planning to do this with my go-to Nicholson #49 rasp, but it occurred to me that this forum might know of a particular scraper/rasp/? or process that would work a lot better. So, what tools or process would you use to accomplish this?
    I would be using the rasp, a few chisels, maybe a gouge, spokeshaves and any other tool in my shop that seemed like it would help.

Couple of nice wood choppers there.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I used a drawknife, a rasp and a solid block on the concrete floor to "drift" the head into place.

I suppose a spokeshave set to take a deeper cut would work.

The Mark I eyeball gauge is also useful.

Blog Entries
    Go to Youtube and put "forestry service an axe to grind" in the search bar. The first result "US Forest Service, An Axe to Grind - Complete Documentary" starts in putting a new handle onto an axe at about 2:52 in. Beware - if you start watching this video you can end up several hours later wondering where the day went.

Interesting video. He mentioned to never put a steel wedge in cross grain on an axe. Is this the same for a hammer? I am assuming so but I see this done allot with hammers. Thanks, John...

Your nicholson rasp should be fine. These days, I'd be more concerned about locating a good handle to start with. There were a lot of dogs the last time I went to the hardware store to get a double bit handle.

Love the pre TT perfect pattern. 5 pounds is a man's axe!!

I've got a 4 pounder exactly like your bottom one.

Make sure you have a nice mill file to do a nice job shaping the edge, and make a guard on the file to keep your fingers away from the edge.
    Last edited by David Weaver; 02-09-2014 at 10:58 PM.

On the Several Thousand, Axes, Hatchets, Hammers, Sledges and a Catalogue of other striking devices I have rehandled thru the years. Drawknife, Spokeshave, Rasp and Sandpaper (surplus Sanding Belt). Remember if you make a slip fit, it will never stay tight, Driving home the handle should be done with the handle held tightly in your off hand with the head off the floor and hammering should be done on the end of the handle. You should have a very thin curl of wood left from driving home the handle, I used a serrated sickle section from a farm hay mower to saw this curl flush with the head. An old hack saw blade would work also. The wooden wedge should be driven into the slot in the handle end and the steel wedges, not the round kind, driven in at a 45° to the wood wedge. Make your own wedges by band sawing them from the old handle as its dry and shrunk up all its going to.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Interesting and helpful information in this thread. I have a question about something I was taught by an old timer carpenter many years ago about striking-tool handles regarding grian orientation. I was told that when looking at the tail end of a handle (opposite of the head end) that the growth rings should be parallel to the long axis of the tool head for maximum strength. Kind of hard to explain without a photo or diagram, neither of which I can provide at this time. Does this make sense? Last time I went out to find a new axe handle I had a very hard time finding what I wanted. I bought a few that were of the grain orientation I was told was best. The others were terrible with grain run-out along the contoured handle and looked like they would break on the first hit.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Orr View Post
    Interesting and helpful information in this thread. I have a question about something I was taught by an old timer carpenter many years ago about striking-tool handles regarding grian orientation. I was told that when looking at the tail end of a handle (opposite of the head end) that the growth rings should be parallel to the long axis of the tool head for maximum strength. Kind of hard to explain without a photo or diagram, neither of which I can provide at this time. Does this make sense? Last time I went out to find a new axe handle I had a very hard time finding what I wanted. I bought a few that were of the grain orientation I was told was best. The others were terrible with grain run-out along the contoured handle and looked like they would break on the first hit.
    That is probably the exact reason that David said he struggled finding a proper handle last time he looked. For some reason or another this important factor of grain orientation has been lost along the way.

The same holds true on baseball bats and where the symbol is printed on the bat. THis is why you are always taught to have this symbol facing up at you when you hold the bat.

It is much easier to get this grain orientation right when you make your own handle.

Like this ...

Untitled art 1.jpg

The drawing Joe put up is correct, In the olden days main horizontal support beams, ie Rafters, Floor Joists etc, that had to withstand a considerable weight were always installed with the grain shown, as the beam is much stronger in this orientation due to the fact it will not flex easily. If flipped a quarter turn, the beam will flex considerably, and as the layers of thr grain will flex a lot, they often fail in use, test take some multiple layers of 1/8 hardboard an inch wide and lay them back to back and use a rubber band on each end, set them opposite of the above drawing and put your finger on them, they will flex quite a bit and if you go a bit to far, (SNAP). Now flip a quarter turn and put 10 times the weight on it and it won't flex or maybe just a bit.
    That is why I purchased my hammer handles, axe and sledge from the small company in Missouri, because there handles were all orientated RIGHT.
    Jr.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!

The drawing Joe posted makes sense but is not in agreement with an earlier test carefully done by another member with a different wood. What are the variables? Wood species? Other? Or is one just wrong? P.S. Other test did not involve handles ,just difference in deflection under same stress
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 02-10-2014 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Clarity

Hickory, the only good wood for striking tool handles, passed down from my Grandfather, to my Father, to me, to my SIL, Blacksmiths all.
    Jr.

I haven't done much rehandling so
    you know . .
    like . . .I don't know
    but I been thinkin
    and that's always dangerous.

Do any of you; or what do you think about putting the axe end of the handle in a situation to dry it more than it is before shaping to fit the eye.
    I did that with this here lil hammer. Hickory handle natch.

Last edited by Winton Applegate; 02-11-2014 at 12:47 AM.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.