Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Tools to shape Axe Handle for Axe Eye?

Thanks for the confirmation of my original information about grain for handles. Glad to know I can remember something correctly.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Quote Originally Posted by harry strasil View Post
    That is why I purchased my hammer handles, axe and sledge from the small company in Missouri, because there handles were all orientated RIGHT.
    I haven't been in the market for a handle. Are you saying that some places, who make handles for axes, hammers, etc, actually make handles that are no good? Unreal to me that they wouldn't know that the grain direction matters and actuallly do things to ensure that the grain is lined up properly. Unbelievable? Whats their rationale for this?

An ideal handle has the orientation shown earlier in this thread, no runout where possible, and no heartwood.

The orientation of the grain in the hardware store handles is fairly random with quite a few cut as if they're cut out of a quartered board with some runout (a very bad combination), there is heartwood in a lot of them and they have a very heavy coat of lacquer on them, probably just under the long term assumption that they need to be protected until sale and maybe after if a ham handed seldom user buys one.

I'd imagine there is zero handwork in making those handles and the lowest grade of handles (the ones that just go to hardware stores to be sold at a low price) come out of the log however they come out. One doesn't know if there are any other factors, such as perhaps the bright white clear very good handles being pulled out of the bunch and sold elsewhere. That would make the average hardware store handle even worse.

I'll settle for something rift sawn with little runout and no heartwood, it'll have enough strength. It's for the missed strikes and such that you want the handle to be oriented properly. If the handle isn't oriented properly, a hard missed strike can crack the handle while a good handle won't be cracked.

Speed, the $, Quantity instead of Quality, the $ again. The Small Family owned/operated company I found is Quality orientated, There Product may cost a few cents more than the cheapies, but its definately worth it to me.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Harry, I'll bet their handles get to market without going through two or three levels of distribution, too. Meaning that more of the price is spent on the cost to make the handle and less on layers of distribution.

I can't remember for sure David, but I had quite a conversation with a daughter who runs their office, and I believe their handle blanks are riven too.
    Jr.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!

Speed, the $, Quantity instead of Quality, the $ again. The Small Family owned/operated company I found is Quality orientated, There Product may cost a few cents more than the cheapies, but its definately worth it to me.
    Somehow I missed it when you named this company. Who are they/it?

I can't remember for sure David, but I had quite a conversation with a daughter who runs their office, and I believe their handle blanks are riven too.
    Doesn't get a whole lot more ideal than that!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Curtis View Post
    Somehow I missed it when you named this company. Who are they/it?
    Jack, I didn't name the company, I know they are in Mo. I will have to go up to my smith shop to find the address and name.
    Jr.

There's a fairly large company in Mo. called House Handle.

http://www.househandle.com/

Google told me that. I have no idea how good their handles are.

I should clarify above that the distaste for heartwood doesn't have anything to do with strength (as far as I know), I just don't like the look of it if you're going to get a nice old axe like a sager or a flint edge kelly and file a nice long clean edge on it - something like that deserves a handle that looks as good as the axe head.

I heard R. Underhill say that newer growth is preferred because it is more springy. He said old ads claimed handles were made of "second growth hickory".

Jack, I didn't name the company, I know they are in Mo. I will have to go up to my smith shop to find the address and name.
    Thanks, Harry, whenever you have a chance.