Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: White Rice, Brown Rice

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hackler View Post
    Yes Paul, I have a Nova Ornamental Turner machine. I haven't used it for quite a while though. Maybe it's time to break it out again! Thanks
    Been doing this for a bazillion years and never heard of an "ornamental" lathe. Does it just sit there and look pretty? What, exactly, does it do?

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Scott, the rice bowl is a favorite form for me. Yours are very well done. Nice job.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Russell, there is a difference between an "Ornamental Lathe" and the Nova Ornamental Turner attachment.

An ornamental lathe is a specialty lathe that utilizes cams and a slow speed motor to rotate the piece of work while engaging a rotating blade to create repeated patterns in the wood. Do a google search for Bill Ooms and check out his work. He is very good at ornamental turning work.

The Nova device was an extra that Teknatool offered to be bolted to their lathes. It is basically a cross sled vise that has a place to mount your chuck and an index plate/pin. You use the headstock of your lathe to power a cutter on a shaft and advance the work into the cutter with the Nova unit, utilizing adjustable stops. It will create patterns similar to an Ornamental lathe but it is limited somewhat to the patterns. It will also do threading. This unit was very expensive when new and they discontinued it after a short run. I would guess from a lack of sales. Most were grabbed up by the tool junkies and sit on the shelves, never actually used. I searched for a couple years before finding one and it was basically new as well. Last owner said he had tried it once and put it away! Right about that time I found another 2 units and helped a local turner get one and a fella online get the other. Used, they are around $500. New they were a couple hundred more.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Those look great. What is WOP?

Wipe on Polyurethane
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Very nice device for rice twice. Good job duplicating the form on both the bowls and the chopsticks.