Thread: Face frame rail spacing for bathroom vanity

Face frame rail spacing for bathroom vanity

Currently trying to lay out face frame dimensions using story board for bathroom vanity. 34 x 96 with 3 inch toe kick. Using 2" rails top and bottom with 1 1/2" between 3 evenly sized drawers on right and left of vanity. Having trouble with layout for the drawer rails with actual openings 1/2" larger than the drawers.
    trying to layout the face frame and then determine the actual drawer door dimensions, but cannot get the even rail spacing to work out yet. I feel really frustrated. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure what you're having trouble with. Are you doing something like this??:

If you're not using Sketch-up, you ought to try it.

Face Frame (2-10-14).png

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Miner View Post
    Not sure what you're having trouble with. Are you doing something like this??:

If you're not using Sketch-up, you ought to try it.

Face Frame (2-10-14).png
    My hero!

I'd do the same thing Jerry suggested. It's an excellent way to visualize what you are trying to accomplish. And if you want a story stick, which is a great idea, make it based on the drawing.

Hi, My name is Dane and I am new to this site.

What Sketch-up?

Google sketch up or Timble's skechup?

Looks like a program that I could use.

Thanks

I've always done 1-1/2 rails and stiles and then if 1/2" overlay, add 1/2" on all the inner rails and stiles.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    I've always done 1-1/2 rails and stiles and then if 1/2" overlay, add 1/2" on all the inner rails and stiles.
    Nice design idea Matt. Keeps the visible portion of the rails and stiles all the same width.

Quote Originally Posted by Dane Higdem View Post
    Hi, My name is Dane and I am new to this site.

What Sketch-up?

Google sketch up or Timble's skechup?

Looks like a program that I could use.

Thanks
    Trimble owns SketchUp. Google sold it a few years ago.

Yes. It is a program most woodworkers could use.

thank you, are there others, I have always just used graph paper and pencil, not very sophisticated but it works, most of the time.

Someone will be along to tell you that you need Solidworks instead. That's great if you have a ton of money burning a hole in your pocket. I checked on the price for it last summer. The least expensive version of Solidworks at that time was $5000 plus a $1500 annual subscription fee. I doubt I've got 5K invested in all the tools in my shop.

Others will come along and tell you that 2D CAD applications (there are several inexpensive or free versions around) is better. Maybe it is for those without binocular vision. Most people see in 3D with perspective, though so if you want to make drawings that are easy for most folks to read, 2D isn't the way to go.

With SketchUp you can make perspective views as well as 2D views from the same 3D model. You can make quick concept sketches or very detailed construction drawings depending on your needs. If you need to make a change to the design, you don't have to start from scratch or worry about erasing through the paper.

There's a free version that for most woodworkers offers all they need but if you find the need for the pro version, it is still not very expensive compared to AutoCAD or Solidworks. And despite what some folks--even some SMC members--might say, SketchUp is more than up to the task for anything you'd need to do. And as far as getting help in using a drawing program, you won't find the same kind of help for those other programs that you can find for SketchUp.

I have been "using" Sketchup for a few years now. Even though I did very little in the way of watching tutorials I did ok with it. Lately I have been on this kick to really learn what my various software programs can do. Going through the tutorials has really opened my eyes as to what is possible in Sketchup. I used "standard" CAD programs for years so Sketchup struck me as being a bit weird at first.