Thread: Laser Cutting & Etching Respirator

Laser Cutting & Etching Respirator

Can anybody recommend the ideal respirator or respirator filters I should wear when laser cutting & etching acrylic plastics? I installed a comprehensive exhaust system, but the odor remains irritating. Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Good morning James!

Any half mask respirator should be good provided it fits you really well. The cartridge you will want is an Acid gas/organic vapor cartridge.
    The mask and the cartridges are not expensive. Perhaps $30 for the mask and $15 to 20 USD for a cartridge pair. Get at least several pairs of cartridges. When they fail they go quickly. Northern Supply will carry a good selection, though I might suggest buying the mask locally so you can fit it properly. That is realllllllly important if it is to work correctly. once you have a good fitting mask with some cartridges to get you started you can mail order replacement cartridges as needed, or continue to buy those locally. A good hardware store will carry them. Can't say I remember seeing them in the big box stores. Plumbing supply houses that deal with PVC piping will also carry them and can help you fit them correctly.

You might look for a post from Dan Hintz on a home made exhaust filter he made for minimal $$ and effort. It was a nice design, followed by lots of good discussion over time of improvements he and others were making to it.

And, you might take a good look at your filter setup now. There are numerous threads here about looking for the causes of engraving fume leaks that will help you trouble shoot this.

My own preference is to have a powered, positive pressure mask. I do a lot of wood turning and dust is my issue. The positive pressure mask is so much more comfortable in warm weather, avoids fogging of the mask (and provides a full face shield for my turning safety....not an issue with an engraver...I hope?) and works better with my beard. Half masks and full masks that are inhalation based are tough to fit well if you have facial hair. Positive pressure is the better route then.

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

I cant recommend a mask but if it were me I would try and fix/reduce the problem before bothering with a mask.

When is it causing you problems? If the smell is a problem when you are engraving or cutting, your fan isn't strong enough or you have a leak in your exhaust. If it is after you are done cutting and pull the parts out, will a mask help? The smell tends to linger on the cut/engraved parts for several hours after they are removed from the laser and stink the place up. Do you plan to wear the mask for that long after you take the parts out?

I don't do much cutting of acrylic, but to reduce the smell after they are taken out the parts either go outside or get put below the table in the laser that way any off gassing they do gets sucked out the exhaust and I can reload the laser and cut the next batch.
    Universal M-300 (35 Watt CO2)
    Universal X-660 (50 Watt CO2)

Hans (35 watt YAG)
    Electrox Cobra (40 watt YAG)

Glass With Class, Cameron, Wisconsin

I'm with Joe. I cut plastic every day with virtually no fumes.

Like Dave, I have to wear a mask when wood working, particularly with hardwoods.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I had odor issues as well when cutting/engraving... but once I work my exhaust system out, no more odor (except on the parts that come out of the machine)
    Keith Upton
    Aerodrome Accessories
    Epilog Mini 24 - 60w

Something odd there, because I have cut 1/4" acrylic for 10 hours straight, even a few all-nighters without any problem. There has to be something going on with the exhausts system, a leaking joint or something.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Agree you need to work on your exhaust system....... but.......... there is a tremendous difference in the smell of different brands of material. I'd suggest trying another brand...... there are 3 different brands that we want let our supplier send us. We cut a lot...... about 30 full 4 x 8 floresent green sheets a month.

Blessings,

Kevin

James,

I only do woodworking and finishing, and use the Triton powered respirator. The air pump is attached to your back side so it is a bit removed from the source of anything offensive. It is also relatively inexpensive. Its filters are ordinary, not designed for heavy duty organic filtration, but I do not smell anything when I am spraying finishes. Maybe not OSHA specification, but it puts me in a comfort zone.