Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to keep the lid closed on a sliding lid boxes ??

How to keep the lid closed on a sliding lid boxes ??

I have made a few sliding lid boxes but I am not sure how to keep them closed. I make them loose enough so they will slide easy and will not get really tight when I put finish on them or the weather changes but still wind-up with a loose lid that will slide out if the box is tilted.

So what is the best way to keep them tight but can still be opened when the weather changes?

This is the type box I am talking about.

PC271231.jpg

Could your design allow for a rare earth magnet to be mounted somewhere to keep lid closed?
    I am not saying go kill all the stupid people......
    I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Howard View Post
    Could your design allow for a rare earth magnet to be mounted somewhere to keep lid closed?
    These boxes have a magnet in the front and a small metal disk in the top, it works ok but there has to be a better way. The boxes are only made with 1/4" stock so there is not much room to add the magnet. I used 1/8" round magnets on them and as I said it works but that is about it, just works.

Blog Entries
    I've only made a couple of sliding lid boxes and I used the rare earth magnet so I can't help much. Maybe a vertical decorative piece that slides up and down on the end of the box. I guess gravity would keep it down all the time unless it was in a pretty tight slot.

Do you make the dominoes, too?

Nice boxes Bill. I would consider adding a little lanyard that could wrap around a button or a bead or loop of some sort. The button could be sewed onto the lid or the end of the box and the lanyard simply pulled through a hole and knotted inside on which ever surface doesn't get the button. A chance to introduce a bit of color or a personal touch - much like a Japanese Netsuke if you know the intended end user. You could lose the magnet.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rimmer View Post
    I've only made a couple of sliding lid boxes and I used the rare earth magnet so I can't help much. Maybe a vertical decorative piece that slides up and down on the end of the box. I guess gravity would keep it down all the time unless it was in a pretty tight slot.

Do you make the dominoes, too?
    Well I just may have to stick with the magnets, they work but I don't like installing them and then there is the metal disk. I punched them out with a metal punch and then it is hard to get them nice and flat.

Yes, I made the dominoes, I use the Rockler template and Woodcraft veneer, kind of a fun project.

Could you use something like this with a corresponding dimple in the lid?

Ball plunger .125
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I've seen some that had a wood spring lever pin thing that had to be pressed down to open.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Could you use something like this with a corresponding dimple in the lid?

Ball plunger .125
    Now that looks like a good idea, I just may have to order some of those, I didn't know they made them that small.

Thanks......

Another option would be two magnets. Almost twice the holding power.

How about widening the end of the lid slide a little bit and then cutting small relief slits (you could even cut them with a knife to keep them narrow) to give it a little spring ? The slits could be hidden by the box slots unless the lid is completely removed. However, it could be easily damaged, for sure. Another option would be to make the spring part of the box sides. That way, it would not be exposed to damage, but would be a little more work. Maybe there's a metal strip that could act similarly as a spring mounted on the inside of the box sides at the slots.

Bill, the more I think about this . . . How about adding an extra-deep section, say, 1/2" long, to the dado in one the sides .. then cutting a metal or plastic (you could use plastic from a yogurt container, for instance) strip a little bit narrow of the dado and a little bit longer than the deep section and squeeze it in so it bows out enough to contact the lid slide ? You could use a plastic container that is dark brown and may not be too noticeable.

Bill,
    I know you have tried magnets but just wanted to offer this site where I have purchased very small rare earth magnets before for uses such as yours. They have them down to 1/32" thick and all sizes and shapes. 2 of the small ones facing each other would hold it shut. You could drill out the shallow hole for these with a lipped brad point bit very easily.
    Jim

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/products.asp?cat=10

Blog Entries
    I don't have any photos, but I made some boxes with sliding lids and made my own ball detents using old click type ball point springs and small ball bearings inserted into a drilled hole in the side of the box. I drilled a small divot on the under side of the sliding lid to lock the lid in place. However, you have to make sure that the lid can't pull all the way out or the ball will pop completely out and get lost.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Interesting website. I wonder what you would use a 4” diameter X 1” thick magnet for or how you would even handle it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Tobias View Post
    Bill,
    I know you have tried magnets but just wanted to offer this site where I have purchased very small rare earth magnets before for uses such as yours. They have them down to 1/32" thick and all sizes and shapes. 2 of the small ones facing each other would hold it shut. You could drill out the shallow hole for these with a lipped brad point bit very easily.
    Jim

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/products.asp?cat=10
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney