Thread: Mustard from mayo on the cheap...

Mustard from mayo on the cheap...

I have increased the capacity of my Jet 1642EVS-2 using 2" riser blocks that I purchased here from a member. I then had to make a banjo using some rods and welding. That is called "mustard from mayo on the cheap." This is the first 20" plate I turned using this set up.

Sal.

1779306_1408700286048347_624132116_n.jpg1743676_1408699422715100_2060234188_n.jpg

Nice Platter. Do the 2" risers provide for alignment between the headstock and tail stock, or are they machined such that they don't require it? Looks like a pretty nice alternative given the cost difference between a 16" and 20" lathe for the increased swing. The motor and VFD are the same on the 1642-2 and the PM 3520 so power shouldn't be a problem.
    Dick Mahany.

The platter looks great. The extra swing will make the lathe more user-friendly for large platters or similar shape objects.

4. The Jet 1642 evs has a 16" swing.......if you added 2" riser blocks to the headstock and tailstock, would that not bring your swing up to 20" because it means 2 inches above and below the center line of the spindle? Total rise addition is 4 inches that way.

The PM3520b has 20" swing...............my 18/47 lathe has 18" swing, and I can only exceed that by turning off the end of the bed with an outside toolrest. Just wondering?
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 02-11-2014 at 2:45 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Roger: Indeed a 2" block makes the swing 20" and that is the diameter of the plate I turned. I am going to say it is a hair or two above that so with a near perfect circle on the bandsaw, I managed to get the diameter of the finished plate to 20" - 1/16".

Dick: The alignment is fine except the block needed about 1/16" filing on the side of its tongue but if you just slide it, the alignment is great, see the pictures below.

In general it was a relatively easy job because the creeker had the blocks and the connecting bolts made so all I needed to do was to drill and tap the headstock and tailstock (using 1/4" bolts) so as to attach the blocks. Since they are held by cam action it is just to make sure they are aligned properly and do not slide. Of course I needed a banjo which I made; not fancy but it is perfectly functional.
    Sal.

photo 1 (2).JPGphoto 2 (1).jpg
    Last edited by Sal Kurban; 02-11-2014 at 6:14 PM. Reason: grammar

Did the same to my General 160-12 to 160-18. I got a small banjo 2" extension male lower end to female upper end from general from Canada.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Hi Harry,
    if not too much trouble, can you share a picture please? Is the lathe in your avatar the lathe you are talking about?
    Sal.

Roger, adding 2" blocks under the headstock is an additional two inches between the spindle and the ways, totaling 10" for a 20" swing.

For those of you who may be considering adding riser blocks to your lathe, they are very easy to make using standard woodworking tools. Ernie Conover in his "The Lathe Book" describes how he made some out of hard maple. I've made two sets out of laminated particleboard (countertop material) faced with formica. I also made a set out of high density molecular plastic. The major limitation is the swing of the banjo but you can get by this by making a toolrest offset. All of my risers were made for Powermatic 90's that have a stock banjo with a 15" swing. I use a stock Powermatic 90 outboard turning stand offset that attaches directly to the banjo to get up to 22" of swing. The other consideration is the height of the toolrest post. I simply cut off the old post and threaded and bolted a new longer one. I could also have sold the stock Powermatic 90 toolrests for close to what it would cost for new custom made toolrests from Robust.