Thread: Hardened Varnishes

Hardened Varnishes

What is a practical brand of hardened varnishes or polyurethanes? A friend of mine is refinishing some drum hoops and wants a durable finish.

Not sure what you are asking... Varnish comes in several different formulations. "Hardened" is not one of them.

I'm guessing that most factory finished drums are finished with a catalyzed lacquer or conversion varnish.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Ok, fair enough. Is there a consumer available catalyzed lacquer?

Check with a local Sherwin Williams paint store... or maybe an automotive body shop. May be better to have the body shop spray 'em for you. Cat Lacquers are a special breed of finish; safety is an issue.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Another alternative would be a 2k polyurethane. The one I am familiar with is Perfection by Interlux. It does have technical information about applying by hand. This is not cheap, and will be available only through marine sources. A good on-line seller would be Defender.