Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A shift in shipping policy at Craft Supplies USA

A shift in shipping policy at Craft Supplies USA

In the Feb 2014 issue of Woodturning Design (on page 40) .. C/S has a half page ad offering free shipping on orders over $150 or $7 flat rate under. So I put together an order that is greater than $150 .. As it turns out their policy has changed mid month .. they have revamped their shipping .. it will cost $13.95 to ship this order. Now unless my mind is totally warped .. aren't we still in February 2014 .. so shouldn't their ad still be valid .. I contacted their C/S and was told flat out their policy as advertised has ended.

Normally, I would think they would honor thier ad .. Is there something amiss in my thinking ??

craftsupply 001.jpgcs_order.jpgcs-shipping.jpg

This is not how to build customer loyality. Mistake or not, they should have honored it in my opinion.

In my experience they've been very good on customer service - meeting lower prices from other suppliers for instance. Am surprised they didn't honor the ad.

Their latest email ad had me curoius too - '7 new PSI pens'. I thought they carried a better line of pens more in line with Berea...
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Blog Entries
    CSUSA has slowly diluted their line of pens, including more and more PSI-level stuff over the last year or so. It's a shame, really...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I just checked my paper catalog. It says the 150 + is free to BUT lower down the page it says: "shipping offer can end at any time" . Therein lies the bugaboo.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

I have never found a situation when a merchant wanted to play games, where there were not several other honest ones "right down the road" who were more than happy to take my money. My only problem is not enough money.

I have bought a lot from them over the years and they have had items that other sellers did not offer. However, it does seem that they are changing their policies and inventory. I got an email asking me to write a review of one of their products. I commented that the instructions could be made more clear and they didn't publish my review. I used to receive shipments pretty fast since they are in Utah and I'm in Calif.. Now they are using the mail and shipments take longer. I've always thought that they had sort of a monopoly and I have to wonder if that's affected their mindset. I've started making purchases from other vendors, but I'll still buy from CSUSA if they are the only place to get a product I want. I'm also sorry that they are reducing their pen products selection.
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

I have only had great CS from them. It does amaze me that they did suddenly end the free shipping offer. But as Michelle mentioned, they do have the opt to end free shipping at any time..... But then, I live in Hawaii, and free shipping is usually not applicable to us. Wonder how they'll charge me now? They have always been pretty reasonable to ship here.

I've been waiting for a sale or promo code to finally plink down some hard earned money for a vacuum chuck....

I too have only had good experiences from Craft Supplies. I recently ordered a very large (and expensive) out board turning attachment for my new VicMarc lathe and they sent it pretty fast. I didn't have "normal" shipping charges, but had the regular excessive weight charge, which was to be expected for a 150lb shipment.

So a week ago I got an email informing me that I had non-expiring frequent shopper points (or something like that) and I looked into it. Apparently I have a $60 gift certificate from my rewards points. So to me, that offsets a small amount of shipping expense that I might have to pay now. Nothing is free in the world so they would have to raise prices to absorb the shipping OR start charging for the shipping and send it the most cost effective way, unless the customer wants to pay more.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

On the plus side, if you order something small like the shaving brush I ordered last night, it's only 4.95 shipping instead of 7.

Rich

I never understood companies with shipping policies like the new one at CS. Sure, it costs more to ship a larger order. But there is the economy of scale that makes it more efficient to process large orders.

I find myself ordering less with the new CS method. I place a few items in my cart and check the shipping cost. Often there are one or two items that I only have a casual interest in. If the shipping cost increases by adding the extra items, then I will not order them. The old CS policy would usually result in me adding extra items to get over the $150 threshold. And with no penalty for extra items, I would often keep adding smaller items. The new policy will cause me to look at other companies with better shipping policies.

Steve

Economy of scale? Hmm, gotta be easier to pull one item and ship it that to pull 3 of these, 5 of those, and 1 each of 4 other items. Basically it becomes a question of where the shipping cost shows on an invoice! I can either show it to in black and white, hide it in the price of each item(that's what happens if you buy locally, by the way), or whatever, but some way, if I ship it, the customer is paying the cost.

Are some folks totally outrageous with shipping/handling? of course. That is why I look at total cost, not just item cost. Most times, it still ends up cheaper than buying local, thou many times I can't buy local due to unavailability anyway. So if I want an item, I pay what it takes to get it here, no point complaining about it, really!

When I was in business, many months shipping costs were second only to labor costs. Gotta cover that somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    CSUSA has slowly diluted their line of pens, including more and more PSI-level stuff over the last year or so. It's a shame, really...
    Actually I would say, across the board. IMO it started when Dale Nish was no longer involved in day-to-day operations and has accelerated with his passing.
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

You would have to think that an ad in the February edition of a magazine would have been done several months prior to you actually seeing it in print. Things change and sometimes they change faster than you would like them to, but they still change. Maybe they called the publisher and the publisher could not change it in time. Who knows? But seriously, did you REALLY think that you were getting FREE shipping before? You were simply paying for it in higher prices. They either change the shipping structure or they raise the prices of the merchandise. It isn't like they said it was free and then charged you and you did not know about it. It showed up in the shopping cart. You called them and they told you about the change in shipping. Either buy it or don't. Seems pretty simple.