Thread: Anybody use anti rusting additive on stones?

Anybody use anti rusting additive on stones?

I've used Hone Rite from Bora on my stones and found myself wondering if it was common place or do most people just use clean water? The stones are brand new to me and I've not used them without the Hone Rite so I don't know the difference, really. The thought of hindering rust sounded good to me, but at 30 bucks for a bottle and seeing how quick it will go after one session with it, I would skip it next time if I knew it were going to be a non issue.
    For even the Son of man came not to be served, but to serve.

Blog Entries
    I was going to make a remark about how, "sure I use oil on my oil stones," but this is about water stones.

Mostly I carefully wipe my blades dry after honing and then wipe them with my shop rag that is fairly saturated with a furniture oil (Howard's).

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Nope, never had a rusted blade yet. Wipe 'em dry and move on.

I think hone rite is probably better for the people selling it than it is for the people buying it. The conclusion last time it was talked about is that the effect is transient. It's not going to leave a longer lasting protective coating like oil or wax would.

Interesting... Maybe I'll learn to be less curiously impulsive.
    For even the Son of man came not to be served, but to serve.