Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: entry level forging

If you want to blow into the barrel,cut off a foot and drill holes to make it into a fife!! They actually did make a few old musket barrels into fifes back then. A handy piece of tubing for a soldier who had few available tools to use.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    If you want to blow into the barrel,cut off a foot and drill holes to make it into a fife!! They actually did make a few old musket barrels into fifes back then. A handy piece of tubing for a soldier who had few available tools to use.
    a fifi or flute that could serve as a heavy club, better idea by Ford

Mr. Dunbar runs a school for Windsor chair making. I did not see anything about gun barrels. Must be someone else. It was somewhere else that i read part of what makes old cast steel blades great was the forging process. Working a blade repeatedly with a hammer could improve the grain structure. then i guess you had to fold it on itself because it got too thin. The author was not talking about the Damascus process.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Noah Wagener View Post
    It was somewhere else that i read part of what makes old cast steel blades great was the forging process. Working a blade repeatedly with a hammer could improve the grain structure. then i guess you had to fold it on itself because it got too thin.
    It's the folding process that made them so great... beating them was just part of the process. It evens out the carbon content, and the layers (grain structure) provide great strength and flexibility.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5