Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Thread: Electric Bass Guitar Build

I managed to get the bass playing yesterday. Around 7PM, the baby uttered its first sounds. I only played it for a few minutes, my SO played for a couple of hours. I really can't give an evaluation about the sound or playability. The last time I picked up a bass was in 1965. But I do know the low notes rattled everything in the room that wasn't nailed down. I still have to do the fret work and setup but for something slapped together to keep the natives happy, it's not bad. Now I can start focusing on packing up the house.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    But I do know the low notes rattled everything in the room that wasn't nailed down.
    That's really all you can ask for.

I'll finish up the lacquer and setup in the new place. For now my, SO is having fun playing.

Where are the sound clips?

It must feel good to just get it finished, and to know that ultimately you could get it finished if you just plow through and/or ignore the little problems that come up. Getting through that very very first guitar is SO important!

That really came out well, Julie. I'm a big fan of showing off the wood simply. Are you going to keep the finish natural?
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 07-11-2015 at 6:09 PM.

Thank you, John! Compliments are always appreciated.

When we get set up in the new place, I'll finish it with nitro. It's already got 3 coats. I'm considering satin to finish it up. Gotta talk to the boss about that.

I still haven't even leveled the frets, but they are not bad! My SO just finished another 2 hours on it and said, "This feels so solid!" Maybe it's the carbon fiber rods? Or maybe the laminated neck. Could also be the thru-neck or the whole shebang. But it is a load off my shoulders having it somewhat playable. We've got less than a month to get this place packed and we don't even know where we'll end up.