Thread: water based over watco

water based over watco

I'm experimenting with finishes that are a little easier to apply and are still durable. I work primarily in cherry and although I like the ease of spraying water based finishes, they don't bring out the color I'd like. I experimented with General Finishes Enduro-Var over Watco and it seems to offer the best of both worlds: the color is good, it is easy to apply, and is theoretically durable. It is this last item, durability, I'm not sure about and can't test very well. Has anyone else done this or can they recommend something similar?

Try TransTint Dye

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Barstow View Post
    ...they don't bring out the color I'd like. I experimented with General Finishes Enduro-Var over Watco and it seems to offer the best of both worlds: the color is good, it is easy to apply, and is theoretically durable. It is this last item, durability, I'm not sure about and can't test very well. Has anyone else done this or can they recommend something similar?
    You may have a problem with adhesion between the Enduro-Var and Watco. Check with General Finishes technical support.

I really like Enduro-Var, and have found that adding small amounts of TransTint dye to it allows me to achieve the desired color effect.

As per usual, "your mileage may vary."