Thread: Fasteners for a slab table

Gibsons British Columbia Canada ( near Vancouver )

Fasteners for a slab table

OK, my learned friends - - -

I have a beautiful piece of BLM that I am making a cantilevered coffee table with. Slab top, smaller slab bottom, steel rods between the top and bottom, with hidden steel structure to accommodate the rods joining the two slabs. The slabs are 8/4 ( ish ), and reasonably heavy. The whole thing will be closer to 100# than 50# when all is said and done.

I have totally taken into account wood movement, so that is under control -

My question is: Small lag screws / coarse wood screws or drilled, tapped and threaded machine screws?? If machine screws, coarse or fine thread?

Given the slab dimensions ( 42'' x 16'' or so ) and the total weight, I was thinking 1/4'' lag bolts minimum, or 5/16'' fasteners if using machine screws..

I have used small brass machine screws with great success on smaller projects, but would appreciate some feedback if at all possible.

Dave B

I'd go the lag route for simplicity, you could go to the trouble of machine screws but I see no advantage to this route.

+1 on the lags if you want maximum holding power.

I do use machine screws if a piece needs to be disassembled for shipping or whatever. I generally use 1/4-20 or 5/16-18 screws, drill and then use a tap in a variable speed drill - not nearly as finicky as tapping metal.