Thread: Wormy Vase with Flowers

Wormy Vase with Flowers

Little collaboration with a couple of worms. Flowers are taking to ~1/16" or so to their base. Vase was turned and then I picked all of the worm duft out of his holes before finishing.

C&C welcome.

IMG_1702.jpg

IMG_1703.jpg

IMG_1704.jpg

Clever! I like that, especially with different length stems and wood varieties. Cool

3. Perfect for valentines day!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Just wondering, do you do something to kill off the worms? I'd be concerned about future worm damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Valleskey View Post
    Just wondering, do you do something to kill off the worms? I'd be concerned about future worm damage.
    Not in this case, by the time I got the wood the worms were actually long gone already, also the walls of the vase are turned to around the size of the average worm tunnel so they'd have to be pretty good at hiding to have escaped.

If it was a larger piece of wood I'd definitely be more concerned.

Really like the creativity and the different size flowers. Next try some really green wood and let it warp I think they may look a little realer. Just a thought.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Nice wormy vase. I like to use the natural carvings done by the worms as a feature. Your flowers are also a nice arrangement.

Very nice Ryan. Exactly the "species" of flowers needed to withstand the snowy weather.

Something to consider for the flowers for your next vase or better yet mixed with your current style flower is one with petals as in "inside-out" turned ones. I made a couple and was going to insert a link to them but I can't seem to find the post. If you aren't familiar with inside-out turning techniques do a search, maybe you will have better luck at finding examples then me. Best I could come up with was this.

"The best things in life are not things."

Quote Originally Posted by James Combs View Post
    Very nice Ryan. Exactly the "species" of flowers needed to withstand the snowy weather.

Something to consider for the flowers for your next vase or better yet mixed with your current style flower is one with petals as in "inside-out" turned ones. I made a couple and was going to insert a link to them but I can't seem to find the post. If you aren't familiar with inside-out turning techniques do a search, maybe you will have better luck at finding examples then me. Best I could come up with was this.
    I like that idea a lot, will definitely have to give it a try. I've done a few where I did a bit of carving on them, but that tends to be a bit tedious for any volume given my current lack of carving skills. Will take a while to wrap my head around what the inside/out shapes look like.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Robinette View Post
    Really like the creativity and the different size flowers. Next try some really green wood and let it warp I think they may look a little realer. Just a thought.
    Could be pretty neat, especially natural edge and if it was something that really warped wavy it would look quite interesting (although I'd probably go with a somewhat different flower shape I think). Mostly this is part of the "use up all the small scraps nice enough I feel bad throwing them out but to small to do anything of substance with" ongoing project so my current selection of wood has been somewhat dictated by that (no more wood until the current pile is smaller.. unless its really nice or.. cheap or .. yeah).

Thanks for the great ideas/feedback!

Neat idea , also you could glue on some curlies to look like water leaves etc. around the base of the flowers ..
    John 3:16