Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lumber Source in the MD, VA, PA, and WV area

Lumber Source in the MD, VA, PA, and WV area

Hi all!

I thought I 'd share with the fellow SMC'rs a great source of lumber near Hagerstown MD. Its the Hicksville Planing Mill:

14464 Hicksville Road
    Clear Spring, MD 21722-1240
    (301) 842-3474 (but don't expect an answer)
    0700-1700 MTuWF, 0700-1200 Sa

It's a great place to find excellent quality hardwoods (basically all varieties) plus some of the harder to find wood like purple heart and bubinga etc. The prices are outstanding. My last load of cherry was around $3.50 b/f. Curly maple runs around $3.50 to 3.75 b/f. Walnut goes for around $4.00 b/f.

It's all family owned and operated and the owners are great to work with. All they ask is no cursing (they are Menonites) and restack it the way you found it.

Mike

I drive 2-1/2 hrs to get there, I would drive whatever it takes. It's an unbelievable place. I've seen Robert move 5 or 6 hacks of wood to get to that one piece you need. I get beautiful clear red oak for $2.10 a bd. ft. They also get exotics, I paid $2.75 for purpleheart, but they don't always have a specific spcies. It's fun to see what they have each time. Here's a load I recently got.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Larry,

Do you know of anyplace in SOMD to get veneered and/or BB plywood.

Thanks,

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

So Michael, Larry. Since you guy's have been there do they also keep some pretty normal stuff on hand. Aromatic Cedar, Poplar, basic maple? I'm looking mostly for secondary woods.

Larry, isn't there a sawmill down near the tip of one of the peninsula's in southern md? I remember seeing a website for someone dowh that way.

Bill - They do carry all of the normal woods. I get a lot of poplar from them for drawers and painted pieces. I don't work too much with oak but they do carry both red and white.

Give them a call to see what they have on hand.

Mike

Bill, I live about 15 minutes from Hicksville Planing and have used them a lot for lumber.
    Not only do they have all the stuff Mike mentioned, but they have just about any secondary lumber you need... it is best to call to make sure what they have on hand... I am not sure about the aromatic cedar though...
    They also do custom cutting of your own trees if you need it...
    They are great to work with... I also have permission to go through their scrap bin for free.. found some great scrolling and pen woods there that cost me nothing... though I did make a couple of pens for the owners as thank you presents.
    Tom Mullane
    Hagerstown, MD
    If you work with your hands you are a laborer
    If you work with your hands and head you are a craftsmwn
    If you work with your hands, head and heart you are an artist

Jay, there's nothing in Southern Md. as far as I know. Ford Lumber in Accokeek might have something, Allied Plywood in Alexandria would have some, but they only sell to the trade. I know Northland Forest Products in Chantilly has it, but it's expensive. I pay $22 a sheet (5ft by 5ft) for half inch Baltic Birch at Hicksville.

Exotic lumber in rockville, Md is a good one.

I live about 90 miles from Hichsville planing mill and took my first trip out there after reading about it here. They are the nicest people, have a great slection, and saved me a bunch of money over the local supliers. The drive was well worth the time. I will be there for all my projects. Thanks for telling us about this treasure.

I have been to Vienna Hardwoods.
    http://www.viennahardwood.com/products.html
    They are smaller but have a good selection at a fair price.

I am from NC and there seems to be a lot more wood options there then here in N.VA. So please post all the wood shops around this area as I like to have options.

thanks for info

just come back ( 2 hours drive) from visiting Hicksville Mill. Very nice people and very reasonable price for wood. Bought some wood for a few project.
    Highly recommend this place.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sweet! only a 40 minute drive and I had no idea.

I'll second the for Exotic Lumber in Gaithersburg. Neil, the manager and I believe a partner in the company has been very helpful, allowing me to paw through the shelves as much as I like. He's also spent plenty of time answering my questions and showing me some of the truly exotic woods they stock (10 foot tall bubinga slab wider than my arm span). I inquired about paying for use of his massive wide-belt sander, and if it wasn't broken at the time, he offered hourly charges including fractional hours for small jobs like running a half-dozen cutting boards through for final sanding. They also have a store in the Annapolis area and a decent website with pictures and prices.

Also happy with Hardwoods Inc. just north of Fredrick. Had a good selection, along with some specialty tools and what looked like a full service custom molding setup. I only stopped in quickly on a Saturday, but was given good service despite the place being busy.

Both of the above have been great, but I have been looking for a place to pick up the basics in quasi-bulk quantities for better prices (how much weight can a non-load bearing wall support again?).

As for a mill in southern MD you could try Charlotte Hall Lumber in Charlotte Hall MD. It has been a few years since I was there but I was getting a really good deal on ash and poplar rough cut and kiln dried.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Forbes View Post
    As for a mill in southern MD you could try Charlotte Hall Lumber in Charlotte Hall MD. It has been a few years since I was there but I was getting a really good deal on ash and poplar rough cut and kiln dried.
    Not sure if it's the same place, but there is a sawmill and kiln behind the farmer's market there in Charlotte Hall. It's been through 2 or 3 owners in the last several years, but is usually pretty good. They only carry the normal selection of domestics (oak, walnut, cherry, maple, poplar), and even that can be limited based on what they've gotten in to saw and dry recently, but the prices are reasonable, and you can dig through to your heart's content to find what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Norton View Post
    Jay, there's nothing in Southern Md. as far as I know. Ford Lumber in Accokeek might have something, Allied Plywood in Alexandria would have some, but they only sell to the trade. I know Northland Forest Products in Chantilly has it, but it's expensive. I pay $22 a sheet (5ft by 5ft) for half inch Baltic Birch at Hicksville.
    Larry and Jay,
    There used to be a place called Maryland Select Hardwoods over in Nanjemoy, although the address says it's LaPlata. I've only been there a couple times, but they were reasonable and had a good selection. If they are still there, (still shows up on woodfinder.com) check them out.

Dave