Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tools from Europe?

Tools from Europe?

All,

I just found out that I'm going to Europe for a week for my business. With that said, I would like to know if there any tools worth purchasing Europe? I know that anything dealing with electricity is out of scope due to voltage differences. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rich Fosmoe
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 02-17-2014 at 2:16 PM. Reason: Removed link in signature.

Essentially all of the power in Europe is 220 volts so all of the tools are designed to run on 220 volts. Having 220 volt tools in the US is a pain because it's hard to get 220 volts. It'd probably require some additional wiring in your shop and you almost wouldn't find it on any job site. Europe is also mostly 50 hertz but if the tool you buy has a universal motor that won't make any difference. If the tool has an induction motor, it would make a difference.

Unless you can buy a tool for delivery in the US, designed for 120 volt operation, I wouldn't buy any tools in Europe.

I'm mostly thinking small tools here, not things like cabinet saws.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 02-17-2014 at 2:23 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

If you have 240V in your shop for stationary tools, most power tools will work. The frequency is 60Hz (US) vs 50Hz, which means things run a bit faster, but in general, that isn't a problem.

Metric measuring tools are handy to get (if you use them). Nearly all European screws are Pozidrive heads, much superior to plain Philips, so that's another thing to look at.

You can get some seriously powerful hand-held power tools in Europe, since there's so much more power available from the standard wall socket. I used to have a 10" Skilsaw! I sold it a long time ago, before I got 240 in the shop. Wish I hadn't now!

It is a misconception that 240 VAC tools are more powerful. They just consume 1/2 the current vs. their 120VAC equivalents. A tool motor is rated at "X" watts, and watts is simply volts X amps. Double the voltage, halve the current, and vice versa. One big advantage for 240 is that by running at a lower current, extension cords can be a smaller gauge wire.

the reason you typically get a 240VAC tool is that then you get a much larger, more powerful motor and can still use reasonably sized wiring in the circuit.

My old Craftsman radial arm saw is dual voltage, as well as my newer Powermatic bandsaw. I switched the RAS to 240V years ago because the motor starts better, it lagged on 120. But it is still a 2HP (~1500W) motor, regardless of supply voltage.

Web sites

I live in the United Kingdom the following sites may be worth a look

www.flinn-garlick-saws.co.uk/

www.classichandtools.com

www.dick-gmbh.de - Japanese tools, select woodworking tools, special tools for instrument making and violin supplies. Excellent

http://www.davidstanley.com/ I believe it is possible to bid on line

regards Brian

Many years ago I toured Norway, Denmark and Sweden and because I was a construction sheet metal worker I looked in hardware stores there for tin snips. I asked for the best they had and I was directed to Wiss Snips that were made in USA and extensively used by US sheet metal workers. I did find some very nice carving gouges there though.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

I was in the UK, miles from where Record and Sorby production took place, the vises, clamps and chisels all cost more than they did in Canada! I bought a 1/8" Sorby chisel because it would have been hard to come by in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Reep View Post
    It is a misconception that 240 VAC tools are more powerful. They just consume 1/2 the current vs. their 120VAC equivalents. A tool motor is rated at "X" watts, and watts is simply volts X amps. Double the voltage, halve the current, and vice versa. One big advantage for 240 is that by running at a lower current, extension cords can be a smaller gauge wire.

the reason you typically get a 240VAC tool is that then you get a much larger, more powerful motor and can still use reasonably sized wiring in the circuit.

My old Craftsman radial arm saw is dual voltage, as well as my newer Powermatic bandsaw. I switched the RAS to 240V years ago because the motor starts better, it lagged on 120. But it is still a 2HP (~1500W) motor, regardless of supply voltage.
    Lou, I absolutely agree with you, a Watt is a Watt is a Watt. Current being inversely proportional to voltage, the benefit of 240V is less I^2R loss in the cables.

However, my point is that standard wall outlets in mainland Europe are 240V, 15A. In the UK & Ireland, they are 240V, 13A. In the USA & Canada, they are 120V, 15A. Thus say a German outlet can deliver 3600W, a British one ~3100W, and an American one 1800W.

Tool manufacturers provide higher power tools in Europe to take advantage of this. Take for example the Bosch glide saw. In the US, it is the GCM12SD. It draws 15A max (i.e. an 1800W motor). In Europe, the equivalent glider is the GCM 12 GDL, and has a 2KW motor, drawing 8A or so.

Makita sell the 5143R circular saw. It has a 2200W motor. You just can't buy these in the US.

In the kitchen, Europeans use electric kettles, because they can have 3KW heating elements. In the US, they are not at all popular, because half the power means twice as long to heat the water.

In the yard, the typical pressure washer in Europe is electric powered. The 3KW supply is sufficient to make a decent pressure washer. In the US, you need a gasoline engine to get to the same power.

In Europe, you can buy some seriously powerful tools!

Where on the continent are you going? Definitely stop by Maik Schulz if you're in Berlin. Great store.

I'd pick up a Festool Precisio CS 70 or a Mafell Erika 85c if you're in the market for a compact tablesaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    ...Having 220 volt tools in the US is a pain because it's hard to get 220 volts.
    Europe is also mostly 50 hertz but if the tool you buy has a universal motor that won't make any difference. If the tool has an induction motor, it would make a difference.

Mike
    Any modern day, U.S. home is equipped with a 220 VAC Main. It's the standard.

Most modern day induction motors have 50/60 hertz on the name plate. Even if they did not, it would only change the speed slightly but would still work fine in most normal cases.

EDITED TO ADD:
    You would have to replace the plug to the US standard.
    Last edited by Jeff Erbele; 02-18-2014 at 4:05 AM.

Unless you are packing them in your suitcase to save freight costs, one does not have to go to Europe to buy European tools.
    And if you are packing them, there is the matter of declaring them at US Customs, import and duty.
    Also consider bag fees, number of bags and weight limits per your airline.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Andrew View Post

[...]

In Europe, you can buy some seriously powerful tools!
    Yes, I definitely misunderstood your meaning of "more power available at the wall socket". I often see comments periodically asking if a tool should be switched to 240 so it will be more powerful ...

But I do have a question. If UK standard is 13A, and mainland is 15A, why the monster plugs in the UK?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Fosmoe View Post
    I know that anything dealing with electricity is out of scope due to voltage differences.
    Rich Fosmoe
    Okay lets keep on track he wants hand tools
    I am sure you can find infill planes easier in Europe than in the states
    Which country/countries are you going to?

maybe visit a factory
    http://www.pfeiltools.com/en/home.html
    http://www.stubai.com/index_englisch.htm
    http://www.kirschen.de/englisch/contact.shtml

maybe visit some antique shoppes

enjoy
    Carpe Lignum

Quote Originally Posted by phil harold View Post
    Okay lets keep on track he wants hand tools
    I am sure you can find infill planes easier in Europe than in the states
    Which country/countries are you going to?

maybe visit a factory
    http://www.pfeiltools.com/en/home.html
    http://www.stubai.com/index_englisch.htm
    http://www.kirschen.de/englisch/contact.shtml

maybe visit some antique shoppes

enjoy
    That's what I was thinking--chisels, planes, measuring and marking gauges
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis McDonaugh View Post
    That's what I was thinking--chisels, planes, measuring and marking gauges
    This ^^^^

IMHO, not worth buying power tools over there and trying to carry them home. There is pretty much no way you or me as private individuals could get a tool of any size or weight back to the States more cheaply than you could just buy it online, here. That being said, I would definitely find a way to visit stores over there. That could be really interesting.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA