Thread: Diamond Sharpening Stone from ChefKnivesToGo

Diamond Sharpening Stone from ChefKnivesToGo

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/40grdipl.html

Anyone give this a try for flattening waterstones??
    -------------------------------------
    Adrian Anguiano

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". Jeremiah 29:11

Blog Entries
    Ive never used that one specifically, but I use either a 600grt or 400 grit diamond stone to flatten waterstones.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

with a chinese diamond hone, the gamble is flatness. I don't know for sure that one's chinese, but am guessing it is.

I have two chinese hones that are sort of that style, and they are great for working bevels on steel, but they are not as flat as you'd want for stones.

I use 100 grit wet-or-dry on a $35 surface plate (9x12 on sale twice a year for $25 at Woodcraft) for stone flattening. The same sheet of paper lasts a LONG time-just rinse after use. The paper will stay in place on a granite surface plate with just water under it-it won't on slick surfaces like glass and countertop granite. The surface plate is good for other things too-like flattening smaller plane bottoms.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 02-17-2014 at 6:23 PM.

I wonder what the plate is made of? At that price,probably plastic with metal diamond coated surfaces bonded to it. However,that looks like a good,low cost alternative to what they charge for woodworkers(because they can get away with it!) I bookmarked the site,and am glad to have learned about it.

They're mild steel, probably 3/8" thick or so. Some of the japanese makers have been making an 8mm thick plate for a while with a diamond pattern on the surface. The chinese makers don't have a lot of creativity, so they mill a similar size plate and in some cases even use an identical pattern. I have two hones that look almost identical to the iWood diamond plates. They just aren't the flattest thing in the world, and they were made in china.

As far as hones and sandpaper, the sandpaper is unsuitable for the harder ceramic stones. I found the shapton stones to strip stuff off of the wet and dry paper, and whatever was coming off got embedded in the surface of the stone, which was a real downer on the finer stones. On kings, kitayama (a soft imanishi finsher), etc, no problem with the sandpaper. But big problems on the harder stones.

$20?

What's that, two cups of coffee and a cookie from Sweet Sammies?
    Go for it. Cue us in on the results.

Even money says it's the same product being resold somewhere else, in a fancy box for 5x this price...

If i wanted a stone to work bevels on an iron, now that the ez laps are not $35 any longer, I'd give that one a try.

I still keep an atoma for flattening stones. An atoma is always flat, and the durability is unmatched.
    Last edited by David Weaver; 02-18-2014 at 9:27 AM.

I have not tried this plate but I get most of my stones and supplies from Chef's knives to go, they are great!
    George Beck
    Fishers Laser Carvers

I bought at atoma, but i was real curious about this one because of the price.

I too have given up on sandpaper. It works great on my King 800 Deluxe, but on my Naniwa 8000 SuperStone, its AWFUL. The paper loads up with the yellow slurry and flat out stops working. So I've decided it was time to get a atoma, and while I was at it a Shapton Pro 1000 to replace my King 800 Disher.. I mean Deluxe. I was flattening some backs on some chisels and i swear about 6 passes and the king was dished.
    -------------------------------------
    Adrian Anguiano

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". Jeremiah 29:11

I bought the Atoma as well but 20 bucks is mighty tempting
    George Beck
    Fishers Laser Carvers