Thread: Unfinished pine molding on tinted acrylic lacquer pine veneered door. How to finish?

Unfinished pine molding on tinted acrylic lacquer pine veneered door. How to finish?

I installed an Ikea wardrobe with a pine veneered door that has been finished with "tinted clear acrylic lacquer" according to Ikea's website. A link to the door is here. The finish seems very thin. The actual door color is lighter than the picture in the link, almost like white pine.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S99932795/

For visual interest, I added some unfinished pine molding. The unfinished pine is the same color as the lacquered door, if not a notch darker/yellower.

i would like to unify the finish, and make it a tiny bit darker. If I were to put some water based poly on the unfinished pine I would achieve what I want. But how to deal with the door? Should I use lacquer thinner to strip the acrylic lacquer (does lacquer thinner work with *acrylic* lacquer?) ? Should I just put some brush-on lacquer to the whole thing (door and molding) hoping the brush-on lacquer (non-acrylic) will adhere to the acrylic lacquer? Should I slightly sand the door, hoping that some sanding will prep the door enough to add some water-based poly to the whole thing?

(disclaimer: I think when Ikea says it's tinted clear acrylic lacquer, it is indeed acrylic lacquer, not a lazy way to name water based poly -- I am 99% sure it's acrylic lacquer, but not 100%)

Thanks.
    Last edited by Carlos Arteta; 02-18-2014 at 9:19 AM.