Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A question on turning some small boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Underwood View Post
    You could do that. It would probably help.

David,
    I repeat: No matter how well dried (IE> Kiln Dried wood included) the wood is going to move after opening it up.

Best to always rough turn your boxes and let it complete moving before finish turning. Granted, the kiln dried lumber will move less, but box turners will always tell you it's still going to move. For precise fits you're always better off to let the wood acclimate after rough turning, then finish turn.
    Hi Jim. I think my mindset was just to consider water weight loss. Now that I reflect, it seems that shapes can change without losing weight. I can see that this is obviously critical for boxes with lids for sure. I have to admit that this sort of makes me want to shy away from doing boxes.
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

Very hard oily tropical woods are in a class by themselves when drying. They want to dry very slowly like any hard strong wood. I have luck turning to 1/3" on 4" wood, hollowing --waxing the outsides and rim heavily. Leave the inside open to allow drying--this will tend to pull the wood together. Still dry in a sheltered place. Paper bags are good because they are almost transparent to moisture but prevent drafts. The monkey pod should give no trouble--it is tropical but soft, fiberous and weak in strength. Patience is the best dryer available. I might be cautious about DNA as it may pull out the waxes and oils that you paid for--these also slow normal drying proceses. All this advice is good on hard natives like Bow-Darc.any fruit trees, dogwoods, mulberry ect.
    Last edited by robert baccus; 02-21-2014 at 10:58 PM.