Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stable Wood For Flat Reference...

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    Just watched Ng's video on making a sled and he used a flat chunk of maple as a flat reference for the glue up of his fence. I'd like to make a similar fence, 4"x6"x30, out of a stable wood, but one that is not as pricey as maple. Any suggestions?
    How long do you think this hunk of wood will stay true once machined?
    It will stay flat for a long time as long as the humidity doesn't swing all over the place. I imagine that William just makes a reference, as he needs one, from a scrap pile.
    Wood wouldn't be my choice for a long term, known, flat reference standard. Building a box beam, as Peter detailed, would be my choice for a "longer term" standard.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Blog Entries
    could someone show a photo of a plywood box beam workbench? I'm having a hard time picturing what you are describing.

Went to a granite counter top shop today and bought a 6" X 30" X 1.25" backsplash cutoff for $40. Looks to be flat enuf for woodworking, my precision ground straightedge looks great on it.
    Built guitars in my basement for 10 years, mistakes went in the wood stove, was rarely cold.

Best funny woodworker line: "My worst fear is when I die my wife will sell all my tools for what I told her I paid for them"

I have a bench that I use for most of my glue-ups - laminated maple 2 1/4" x 12" x 8ft. It is mounted on cast iron legs intended for a lathe stand.
    Once in 30+ years i thickness sanded and refinished it, mostly to get rid of glue residue.

clamping crest rail.jpg

I don't know that I would call it a workbench per se but I guess it could be. Here's the box beam I built to be a flat reference when I laminated pairs for my bench tops. 3/4" ply, 5" flange, 4" web, 8' long. I think that thing could hold up a vehicle.

PS: In hindsight, I didn't need 4" webbing. I could have done 2" and it would be just as good and likely easier to assemble.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Brian Tymchak; 12-29-2017 at 10:15 AM.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Think bowling alley!
    Jerry

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation" - Herman Melville

Exclamation I loved!

My worst fear is when I die my wife will sell all my tools for what I told her I paid for them.

Blog Entries
    Melamine on mdf

Find a fire door in a skip, I suggest looking around hotel renovations for a nice slim one.
    Good luck