Thread: Outboard turning

Outboard turning

I have a PM 3520b lathe.I want to turn some oversize pieces.I was going to go with the PM made extension with banjo but now i am leaning to the Vicmarc..it seems to lend itself to more applications. what say ye...Rob

I have a VicMarc VL300 lathe with the VicMarc outboard attachment and it (the outboard) is a beast. Very heavy and solidly built. I am not sure what type of fabrication you would have to go through to attach it to the PM 3520, but anything is possible.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Doesn't look like it would be too difficult to fabricate it to fit. I turn on the extension of my 3520 B and it is prone to vibrate some. I use a hydralic table under the extension. Not perfect, but better. Best part of the extension is on the upper level it allows longer spindles, and a place to park the tail stock out of the way. I would get the extension rather than the outboard system because of versatility of its functions. I find when turning24" bowls down to 1/2" thick the bowl begins to resonate like a drum. I have to take light cuts or have undulating ripples in the interior of the bowl. I don't know if the outboard would be much different?
    Member Illiana Woodturners