Thread: My first attempt at piercing on a sapele and ebony bowl

My first attempt at piercing on a sapele and ebony bowl

10-1/2" x 5" Sapele & Ebony Lidded Royal Heirloom Bowl
    This was my fourth lidded bowl and I was attempting to improve and make everything work, taking the good from the others and removing the bad to make a better piece. This was my first attempt at piercing. Also I wanted to make a finial that was more professional than the others I have done. I kept the burned textured bands because they seemed to work with the piercing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I Love The Lord With All My Heart! & Necessity is the mother of invention!

That's a beautiful peice

I am quickly realizing, as a very new member, that I have a LONG way to go to have the skills that are demonstrated on this site. That is very beautiful!

Andy

4. Beautifully crafted Breck! The symmetry and the embellishments all work together well..........nicely done finial........not always easy to get one just right, but this one really works well with your form!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

That's an absolutely fantastic piece, basically all the parts on it work for me. Kind of reminds me of something you'd see in a turkish museum maybe.

Beautiful piece of work. Details and finish are well done. Good choice on the finial size, attractive yet functional.

Olympic Gold Metal

Simply Beautiful!!!

Very, very nice!
    C&C WELCOME

Wow!! .

Stunning! On the burned textured bands, did you use a texturing tool on the lathe first and then burned the color in or did you actuall create the texture via "burning" I ask because the spacing is so perfect. I suspect I am not alone in being interested in more pics of how you laid out and performed the piercing.

Many Kind Regards . . . Allen
    No, the sky is not falling - just chunks of it are.

Quote Originally Posted by allen long View Post
    Stunning! On the burned textured bands, did you use a texturing tool on the lathe first and then burned the color in or did you actuall create the texture via "burning" I ask because the spacing is so perfect. I suspect I am not alone in being interested in more pics of how you laid out and performed the piercing.

Many Kind Regards . . . Allen
    Allen I contacted Molly Winton and copied her method of making my own burning tip with 20 gauge Ni-chrome wire that I bought online. I wrapped the wire five times around a nail to create a coiled burning tip. I put the homemade tip into my eagle burner,then I burned two lines in the piece (standard methods)while on the lathe to set up the boundary for the textured burned bands. Then off the lathe I burned the texture into the space between the lines. It takes about 20 minutes to make one trip around the 10-1/2 bowl with the coiled burning tip. You brand the coil into the wood then do it over again right next to the last one, then just go around the entire bowl or circle. As long as you made the two burned lines the correct distance apart it gives an incredibly nice textured burn pattern. It does take a little practice to become consistent with the side by side burns.
    I Love The Lord With All My Heart! & Necessity is the mother of invention!

That is just beautiful!

That's beautiful! You must be practicing! Keep it up! Nice turning.