Thread: Noob building a fish tank stand with walnut panel doors... I have a few questions!

Noob building a fish tank stand with walnut panel doors... I have a few questions!

Folks,

I'm new to this wood working racket and have only completed a few projects to date. I've done a ton of reading here and all over but I'm just starting out.

Currently, I'm building my biggest project to date. A fish tank stand that'll hold a 50 gallon (500lbs total). I built a structure made of pine 4x4s and 2x2s. My first hesitation is that the pine just doesn't want to stay square. It's tending to flex some and it'll need more work to get it, and keep it square. I'm wondering if I should just start over and build something more square out of poplar or similar.

Here's the real question though... I've build 3 doors for the exterior sides out of all walnut. The panels are 1/2" walnut, and the rails and stiles are 5"x3/4" Walnut built in the typical panel door construction. I plan to attach these obviously to the exterior of my frame. What I'm wondering is how to do this? I want to have the two side doors open back towards the wall and the front panel to either completely open or possibly be completely removable. My first hesitation is the doors are 29"x35" and 26X35". After building them I've realized I'm having some issues with them staying perfectly flat (D'ooooh!). In hindsight I probably should have made them smaller. However, some sort of latches hidden on the inside that make the door completely removable would be fine, if not better too.
    So, what options would you guys suggest?

Thanks for the advice and the learning I've already done here!

Cody, Welcome to the Creek. It might help if you could show us a sketch of what you are building and maybe post this in the general woodworking area too.

I'll post some photos in a bit... I don't know how I managed to put this in the finishing forum. Obvious rookie mistake!

With no offense intended, you might want to buy yourself a couple of books on furniture design/construction. Your rails and especially the stiles are massively wider than typical for doors that size. They are pretty thin for stock that wide, too, which might be one reason they aren't flat.

There are many hinge options for mounting them, though possibly far fewer depending upon what the cabinet structure underneath looks like so, as suggested, a photo or drawing would be really helpful. Hinges are usually integral to the design process because they often have influence on both the cabinet and door dimensions.

John