Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seeking a product to fill holes in cedar that I am restoring

Frank---You might consider sending a PM to Bob Smalser, I bet he would know what to do to prevent any further rot on boards which have already started to have problems. Take a look at this thread:

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=21412

In it he mentions "red lead paint" which will kill molds and fungi.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    Frank,

500 holes is quite a bit but some bamboo skewers could make it go decently fast...maybe....
    Thanks Chris. I am not sure I can get those here, but I will check.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Forman
    Frank---You might consider sending a PM to Bob Smalser, I bet he would know what to do to prevent any further rot on boards which have already started to have problems. Take a look at this thread:

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=21412

In it he mentions "red lead paint" which will kill molds and fungi.

Dan
    Thanks Dan, I had not read that thread (and I missed a good thing by not doing so). After reading what Bob has written and shown, I don't know if "red lead paint" will do the job so, as you suggested, I sent Bob private mail.

Hi Frank...You can find bamboo skewers at the grocery store near the paper plates.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

I don't see any rot in that picture, Frank. I see the loop of a carpenter ant tunnel is all.

You don't need any poison paints, which won't cure (as opposed to prevent) rot anyway.

I'd use epoxy and fairing compound...you can dye it to match....get the microballoon-type "fairing" filler-thickener as opposed to the adhesive type for ease of sanding. West Marine or another large marine store.

For rot pockets, cut out and let in new wood, or treat with a Smith Enterprises epoxy product called CPES.
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

Frank......if you look around you might find some very small dowels that would work for the nail holes. I'd try a well supplied hardware store first and then resort to checking at some "hobby shops" or craft stores. Drive a dowel in that is coated with an appropriate exterior glue and cutoff with a sharp utility knife. This would work only if you don't mind contrasting woods.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald
    Frank......if you look around you might find some very small dowels that would work for the nail holes. I'd try a well supplied hardware store first and then resort to checking at some "hobby shops" or craft stores. Drive a dowel in that is coated with an appropriate exterior glue and cutoff with a sharp utility knife. This would work only if you don't mind contrasting woods.
    Good idea Ken! I will try it today and let you know how it works. I dont mind the contrast.
    Last edited by Frank Pellow; 06-19-2005 at 8:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Smalser
    I don't see any rot in that picture, Frank. I see the loop of a carpenter ant tunnel is all.

You don't need any poison paints, which won't cure (as opposed to prevent) rot anyway.

I'd use epoxy and fairing compound...you can dye it to match....get the microballoon-type "fairing" filler-thickener as opposed to the adhesive type for ease of sanding. West Marine or another large marine store.

For rot pockets, cut out and let in new wood, or treat with a Smith Enterprises epoxy product called CPES.
    Thanks Bob.

The second picture is not very good -sorry. There isn`t any rot in the second picture (just holes from nails that I pulled out), but I am very pleased to say there isn`t any carpenter ant tunnel either. That is just a man-made gouge.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart
    Hi Frank...You can find bamboo skewers at the grocery store near the paper plates.
    Right you are, now I remember seeing them. I will try both them and the small dowels that Ken suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    Right you are, now I remember seeing them. I will try both them and the small dowels that Ken suggested.
    The bamboo scewers were too small. But, it was a good idea Chris.

The 3mm dowel that I tried worked perfectly. I applied a dab of Lepages Outdoor Wood glue, slid the dowel in, sawed it off, let it dry, then sanded it. It takes very little time to fill each hole (which is just as well since there are so many holes). Thanks again for the suggestion Ken.