Thread: Computer Desk

Computer Desk

The subject of computer desk design seems to come up in every woodworking venue I've ever been in. The problem for me has always been that there are a lot of computer desks out there that are beautiful pieces of furniture, but they were apparently designed by someone who had never even seen a computer, much less used one on a regular basis.

Before I remodeled my study in 1998, I was using a second-hand executive desk that made up for its design flaws with sheer brute size. But it was way out of scale and greatly limited what else could fit into the room. So I decided to roll my own, pretty much built around the computer, monitor, and printer I was using at the time. The design drivers were size (small as possible), neatness (internal cable routing), and accessability (being able to get to the back of the computer without taking the whole thing apart).

It's aged relatively well, considering some of the changes that have transpired in the seven years since I built it:
    1. Inkjet printers. I was using a small laser printer at the time, and its form factor (and the compartment designed to house it) is completely incompatible with what most people now consider "standard" for a printer.
    2. LCD monitors. The design assumed a large (or it seemed so at the time) 17" CRT, which puts the viewing surface further forward on the desk than an LCD does. (Of course, as my eyes age, having a larger screen further away is a feature, not a bug. )
    3. USB. There seem to be literally dozens of small widgets that hot-plug into the computer for short-term tasks. They need cables/hubs, power in most cases, and a place to put them when not in use.
    4. Networks. There are cable routing issues, but mostly the network is a good thing: for one thing, it allows the printer to be somewhere else (see #1 above).
    5. Power management. Modern gear has issues with the old method of turning everything on and off with a power strip.

So overall, there are a couple of things I would do differently:
    1. More cable ports to the desktop, with at least two USB hubs accessable through them.
    2. More power. Seems like every little widget has its own transformer brick: the single power strip down in the bottom of the desk just doesn't cut it any more. I need another one up in the top cable run, plus some utility outlets in the desktop itself.
    3. It needs to be a little larger: I overreacted to the aircraft-carrier I was using before and made this one as small as possible. The room can handle another 4-6" in width and 2-3" in depth...but I still like a desk where I can reach everything from one spot.

And of course there's the fact that my woodworking skills have progressed (somewhat) since then. This one was built with a circular saw, a router, a drill, and a ROS, and the design was biased by what I thought I could do with those tools and my skill level at the time.

The attached Corel file is a rough layout of the internal partitions and gives a better idea of the cable routing than is obvious from the pictures.

Enjoy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Interesting post about computer desk design. If you don't mind, I'd like to respond with a different opinion....

Pull-out keyboard trays are bad.

They are bad because they push you away from the rest of the desk surface. Most people use a computer along with other stuff -- books, papers, coffee mugs, check-books, and such. All of that stuff goes on the desk top, where much of it is out of reach. A better solution, if you're building a desk for computer use, is to make the desk surface a little lower than the traditional desk. The keyboard (or notebook) can sit at an ergonometric height directly on this lower desk. You sit right up to the desk, and much more of the surface is now reachable. (As an added benefit, the keyboard doesn't bounce around when you use it, which is the case with 99% of keyboard trays.)

I think keyboard trays were an odd transitional thing which somehow got cemented into people's expectations. Back when computers were becoming popular, desk heights were too tall for comfortable keyboard use. Builders invented these lower-height trays to place the keyboard lower. It made sense as a reftrofit to desks which were already in existence. However, now that nearly every desk in America has a keyboard on it, the better answer would be to build the desks lower. For no reason that I understand, that hasn't happened.

Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton
    Interesting post about computer desk design. If you don't mind, I'd like to respond with a different opinion....

Pull-out keyboard trays are bad.
    I go back and forth on this issue. In general, I agree with your reasons for not liking them. I think part of the motivation for having them came from the use of larger and larger monitors, to the point that there simply wasn't room on the desktop for a keyboard unless you made the desk impractically wide. The LCD monitor certainly makes the tradeoffs different.
    You also mentioned people "doing other things with the desktop". On a smaller desk, if the keyboard is on the main surface, it's competing for space with the "other things" you mentioned.
    Good slides are a must, though, as is having a tray wide enough to accomodate the mouse/trackball/whatever as well as the keyboard.
    It all comes down to tailoring the desk to your usage pattern. These change over time...which is part of the reason I'm considering building a new desk.

This it the beginning of a fantastic discussion.. at least for me. Very interesting points, and already shedding light on a desk design in my future. I wonder what kind of desk dimensions and design would be accomodating for a laptop and docking station--yet still provide a presence.

What do you think of the drop trays, where the desk is dropped in the center for the keyboard (as you've mentioned), but with a hard top panel that you can put back over the keyboard--when eating lunch, for instance?
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Koehl
    What do you think of the drop trays, where the desk is dropped in the center for the keyboard (as you've mentioned), but with a hard top panel that you can put back over the keyboard--when eating lunch, for instance?
    Where does it go when you're using the keyboard, slide down and back under the top? I think I can visualize the geometry, but I wouldn't even want to guess where to get the hardware.

That's a really nice computer desk, Lee. Nice job.

Computer desks are actually a pretty difficult thing to build because 1) everyone has different equipment (which changes regularly) and 2) everyone works a little different. This brings me to the keyboard issue. For me, the under table keyboard drawer "works" well because I actually use the desk surface just above it and in front of my display. It minimizes eye movement when I'm transcribing something and/or provides additional workspace when I'm doing non-computer work, like filling out a mountain of adoption forms... I do agree that many of the commercial keyboard drawer systems are pretty chincy, unless you spend a bundle of money (including the yucky one I'm using "as we speak") but the one I put on Dr SWMBO's desk, which is similar to the one in the picture above, is rock solid. I also have the monitor at a comfortable viewing distance from the perspective of using the keyboard...which coincidently is also comfortable when I'm just sitting back and using the rodent to surf. Obviously, this is a personal preference item and the arguments on any point of the compass about it all make sense!

I happen to be using a big, modular Ikea Efectiv setup that I've had for years that provides a ton of work surface and comfortable space for multiple machines and access to the same by merely swiveling my chair. If I were building my own, I'd likely come up with something similar. I don't like "hutches" and use a hanging system for the computer case so the whole thing is easy to clean under...it's open to all the walls underneath, which is important when you are somewhat allergic to dust. My work machine, which is a ThinkPig in a docking station with another 19" monitor, keyboard and rodent is desktop. That's been workable as I keep my chair up as high as it can go, but if I were constantly typing on it, I'd have to get another keyboard "drawer" to insure no damage to my wrists.

Regardless of how a keyboard is mounted, it's very important to have it at the correct height and positioned so that you are looking directly at the monitor without turning your head. (I see that "violated" way too often in small businesses that insist on using older furniture that was designed for typewriters, rather than computer work) Everything else is personal preference.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Koehl
    I wonder what kind of desk dimensions and design would be accomodating for a laptop and docking station--yet still provide a presence.
    Uh, you know, there's actually a reason they call them "laptops". (I'm sitting in the recliner watching the US Open while I'm typing this. Wireless networks are good things. )

I'll have to give your question some thought. I don't normally tend to think of a laptop as a "primary" machine, and I think docking stations are a work of the devil, kind of how Jamie regards keyboard trays.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
    I think docking stations are a work of the devil, kind of how Jamie regards keyboard trays.
    But when a machine has to be both an office and portable machine like my work computer is, docking stations are great, especially when they have DVI output for the big LCD monitor!! (And extra USB ports...)

BTW, 'careful with the laptop on the lap. The heat is, shall we say, not exactly friendly to the "family jewels" recent studies have shown...
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    BTW, 'careful with the laptop on the lap. The heat is, shall we say, not exactly friendly to the "family jewels" recent studies have shown...
    Heh. The "hot spots" on mine are towards the back of the machine, down toward my knees. I mean, I like my laptop, but we're not what I'd call intimate, know what I mean?

Well, way down by the knees would be a problem for me, but that's a different topic.Anyway, I strongly agree with Jim - the sliding keyboard tray is most likely the best as long as it is solid - as mine is. I keep mine about 3/4 exposed - don't use the top rows of keys very much. That means the area directly in front of me is within reach for forms, papers, catalogs, whatever - plus the keys don't get hit accidently and a quick push shelters it from coffee spills and donut crumbs . When I reach around the desk, the tray just slides in a bit and I pull it out when needed - almost an automatic movement. I use a wireless mouse, also on top of the desk rather than in the keyboard tray - I just have to keep track of where it is under all the other stuff. In fact, I have never heard of anyone being happy with the top of the desk placement of a keyboard. An office I worked in a few years ago almost had a mutiny when one secretary ordered an under desk tray and the bosses tried to stop all the others from spending the money for the upgrade. (Hay, maybe we got Festool/EZ guide potential in this thread.)

The one big issue to resolve is certainly the proliferation of power bricks - each new thing needs its own space - I am thinking, perhaps a recessed tray along the front of the desk top - say six inches wide, 24 inches long and 3 inches deep, that hosts a power strip and is covered with a flip top. For my set-up I need space for the CPU and monitor, two printers, one cordless telephone, cable modum, laptop charger, pencil sharpener, paper shredder and desk lamp. All of this is now fed from one two socket wall outlet into which I have plugged two six place power strips. Geeessshh.
    Semper Fi

Ray, a wire mesh rack/basket structure under the desk would be my preference. Fortunately, my Efectiv system has the beam-type support structure, so I have plenty of places to support wires and bricks from, plus I added some surplus rack management hardware to the underside of the desk surface. All the wires are off the floor and hidden, for the most part these days...a big improvement from the previous "spaghetti" scenario!!
    --

Jim,
    Good idea - I have got to do something about all this stuff - including the new requirement for a USB for the camera and power for the charger.
    Semper Fi

Lee,

I have used the sliding keyboard tray and have found it to be a hinderance because I am constantly using the phone or shuffling paper at my desk. I found myself sliding it in and reaching for something on the desk or the phone. I would prefer a design that allows for me to be able to swivel from one position to another either through a U or L shaped desk. Of course, my needs are different than yours and I am at my desk sometimes 8-10 hours a day. My ultimate desk will be of a cockpit style where I can swivel 360 degrees and have everything ( file cabinet, printer scanner, paper, files, etcc...) within easy reach.

The cable management feature is something that no one can tame due to the ever exponentating uses of periphals. The promise of wireless bluetooth devices are still in a distant dream. The chair and the height of the desk are the utmost importance for ergonomics. Make sure your arms are parallel with the floor when typing.

The desk that I constructed is of laminated cherry. It looks like furniture acts like furniture yet it is durable, scratch resistant, and cleans easily. I used HON mobile 3 drawer cabinets that are on casters. This allows for me to reposition them based on my needs. They slide underneath the desk with 6 inch gap bewteen the cabinet top and the bottom of the desk. This allows me to but my NAS storage and gig switch on them and run cables to them along a chase underneth the desk. Nicely tucked away yet within easy reach. Various 21/2" holes with grommets allow for monitor cables,power, and network cords to be routed below. Because the desk is mounted to 2 walls I have bulletin board from the desktop up to eye level and book shelves above that.
    Rich

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    - General George Patton Jr

VERY interesting thread!
    I own a business and work at an office desk most days. I also have an office at home. I have two completely different desks, but they have one thing in common. They are both quite large. I expect I'm not alone, as I am constantly shuffling between papers, files, coffee mug, telephone, printer, KVM switch, etc. at work. At home it's usually stacks of CDs and DVDs.
    Both of my machines sit on the floor, and the desks are open at the back, so I have access to both sides of the computers. It is a mistake to build a box around the computer, as heat build-up will cause all kinds of problems, including short lifetimes for hard drives. Keep as much air flowing in and around your computer(s) as you can.
    I've had numerous keyboard/mouse configurations over the years, and don't have a preference. Currently, my office set-up has the keyboard and mouse on top of the desk, and I have a chair that I can adjust the heigth to compensate for the higher level. At home I added an articulating keyboard/mouse arrangement that pivots out and up, so it can be "stowed" when not in use, and adjusted to almost table-top height for use. Although not as sturdy as a full shelf arrangement, it doesn't bounce, either.
    I agree that more power requirements and the proliferation of USB devices has really created a mess! I like Jim Becker's suggestion of a hanging basket approach, if your desk allows this. I think it sounds like a winner--thanks, Jim!
    For those who are stuck with a closed back on the desk, you might consider a slide-out shelf for the computer. Some of the newer computers have USB ports both front and back, and that is a blessing. Even with two USB hubs and 4 USB ports on one machine, two on the other one, I still find it a challenge to attach camera, printer, scanner, and other USB devices that now clutter up my home set-up.
    Bottom line: big is better--at least for me!
    Bert
    Last edited by Bert Johansen; 07-20-2005 at 4:39 PM. Reason: typo