Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is the 1 1/2 HP Jet 1642 under-powered?

When you are on the Brute Squad, it doesn't take a lot to stall a lathe. For roughing, I don't cut the wood as it wishes to cut, I hog it off. Finish cuts are for the as it wishes part. Now, if I had a 5 hp motor..... Both versions of the lathe are good, but for me, I want the extra torque.

For selling, I was semi professional, which means I sold enough to support my habit, and paid some bills, but not enough to make a living. That would have taken all of the fun out of it. I was turning on a 110 volt DVR last night, and found it way under powered for my taste. Still a good lathe, but just not enough meat..

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by charlie knighton View Post
    Dan, one thing, the 1.5 hookup needs to have a dedicate line, can not run lights, drill, or anything else on that line, or it will pop the breaker
    Not necessarily. I had a dedicated 110 line run for my 1.5HP lathe, but I have no problem running lights and power sander on the same line while the lathe is running. I am an electrical moron, but I think it depends on the amperage for the line. I told the electrician what the start-up and running demands of the lathe were, and he ran what he considered an appropriate line. I can run 2-3 low power items concurrent with the lathe -- no tripped breakers in 6-7 years. The dust collector, however, is on another circuit.

I think the extra powered tool on the same outlet would depend on the circuit being a 15 or 20 amp breaker, and the appropriate sized wire.

The 1.5 hp Jet was my second lathe - as has already been pointed out, you can stall just about anything. That said, getting blanks round and coring were the two times I found the power lacking. It never kept me from turning to the full capacity of the lathe; it was just a little slower going at times, but then I'm not a production turner. I did spend some time on a 2hp version and really didn't find it all that much different in practice.
    Went for 3hp when I upgraded - guess what - I can still stall it out. But the patience and tool control learned on the 1.5hp Jet allowed me to understand how to better handle the situation. When life gives you lemons...

I have the 1.5hp and running 220 to my shop is a problem so this influenced my decision. I'm not sorry getting this lathe and I have been able to turn everything I want.

With regard to power, mine runs on a 15 amp circuit which also powers my dust collector and other things and I never blow the electrical.

In the end it will come down to money, like most things in life.
    Last edited by Greg Just; 02-22-2014 at 8:13 AM.

I have had my 1 1/2 horse Jet 1642 for over six years, have never thought it was underpowered. I have stalled it a few times, my fault not the lathe.
    All of the tools in the shop are on a single 20 amp circuit and have never popped a fuse. When I use my tools, they are on one at a time. Exception, my Gast vacuum pump and lathe are on at the same time. Also use a right angle drill to power sand. No problems.

I have the 1.5 and it is a great lathe. I have stalled it several times while getting a blank round. I thought it was just the belt but its just underpowered slightly but since I know its weakness I can work with that. I probally would not go back and change my 1.5 decision because its a great lathe and the money I saved I bought an extra chuck for the lathe and I really needed that.

I have the 1.5 but have also turned on a Powermatic. For most things the 1642 is perfectly adequate. For coring it is borderline. While probably not applicable to the Jets, larger machines tend to have better bearings and smoother motors. Both of those effect even small things like finials.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Short answer - I'm seconding the motion that you make sure of the swing and length as well as of the mass of the 1642 as much as looking at the HP when making your decision.

I have a midi lathe with 3/4 hp that does just fine. I also have a full sized lathe with a 20 inch swing and 2hp that is great for the larger pieces. Other than the length or diameter of the turning most of this comes down to expectations guiding what you attempt to do with the lathe. I take bigger cuts on larger diameter pieces on the 2hp lathe and lighter cuts on smaller diameter pieces the 3/4 hp lathe. The mass of the lathe is as important as the hp in my opinion. I've added weight to the 3520b but have not added to the midi lathe so it is easy to pack up when traveling to demo.

Do I wish I had 3hp for some projects? Yes, especially coring.
    Do I get along just fine with the hp I have? Yes on both counts.