Thread: What replacement for Pratt & Lambert 38 ????

What replacement for Pratt & Lambert 38 ????

Gentlemen, when I started finishing the interior doors on my addition I used P&L 38 50/50 as a wiping varnish. Had not used P&L 38 before but got recommendations from here and have been pleased with it. Now, 2 years later I went to get more P&L and learned it was discontinued approximately 12-18 months ago.

What is the next best choice?

Thank you in advance, Patrick
    Last edited by Patrick McCarthy; 02-21-2014 at 8:45 PM. Reason: clarify timing - 12 to 18 mos.

Not sure that it has been discontinued. For example,on the web, Pond Cove Paints still has it for sale. Remember, when retailers decide, for what ever reason, not to carry a sku they often tell customers that the manufacturer no longer makes it. A very common retail strategy.

Steve, thank you.

Well, I feel naïve; I went to the P&L website and 38 is still there in all it's glory. Maybe it is a California thing, or maybe he lied to me . . . . . and I used to think I had a good BS detector.

I spoke to P&L and they said it was discontinued, they likely won't remove it from the website until the channel is completely clear.

One of my local Ace hardware stores had a few gallons of it left as recently as a couple of months ago, and it was marked down quite a bit. I assume the stuff can be shipped. If this is something that interests you then PM me and I'll pass on the details of the outfit selling it. Even if they don't want to ship it I could pickup the stuff and drop it off at a UPS shipping store for you.

>>>> Maybe it is a California thing,

Yup. Areas of California restrict and, in some cases ban, oil based finished do to EPA restrictions on VOC emissions.
    Howie.........

I have a new gallon (unopened) of P&L #38.....Don't know it its "shippable"...If it is, I'd consider shipping..LMK ..thanks
    Jerry

P&L #38 is NOT being discontinued

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    I spoke to P&L and they said it was discontinued, they likely won't remove it from the website until the channel is completely clear.
    In the past I've had to go to San Diego to get my P&L 38. Unfortunately, the store that I bought my last batch from has stopped carrying it. After hearing rumors of it being discontinued, I bought four quarts from Pond Cove Paint last month; luckily they were having a holiday special - $21/quart. It is no longer on sale but they've got it. I also emailed Pratt & Lambert to get the straight dope on the #38 situation. It is NOT being discontinued. This is what I received today:

Thank you for contacting the Pratt & Lambert website. We appreciate your interest in our #38 Varnish.

This product line is still current, and I've not heard of any plans to discontinue the #38 Varnish. We offer the following skus in quart sized containers (packed 4 to a carton):

H39 (Dull)
    H17 (Satin)
    H24 (Gloss)

If your local Pratt & Lambert retailer does not stock the above items, they may be willing to special order the varnish for you. Please be aware that the dealer may ask you to purchase the full case (4 cans). Another alternative would be to purchase from an online retailer who carries this line. The retailer below is currently selling the #38 varnish:

http://www.pondcovepaint.com/content...ish_Quart.html

Best of luck with your search. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Maureen
    Pratt & Lambert Product Support

Varnish can be a pain to use due to the long drying time, but Pratt & Lambert 38 makes such a beautiful finish.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Drew View Post
    Varnish can be a pain to use due to the long drying time, but Pratt & Lambert 38 makes such a beautiful finish.
    I diluted mine (satin) 50/50 with mineral spirits and wiped 5 coats on my kitchen cabinets. After the fifth coat I went over it with 320 grit until it was as smooth as a baby's butt (can we say that anymore?). I really like the look, but it doesn't look like any varnish I ever used. The final product actually looks like a natural wood finish, no built up plastic look at all, no yellowing at all (yet). Very different from Minwax wiping varnish. Diluted, I was able to do 2-3 coats per day, but then I didn't sand between coats.
    NOW you tell me...

Hate to be an exploiter of this thread, but if you are in/near the NW Chicago burbs, I have an unopened (never) gallon of satin P&L#38 which I'll let go for $20 pickup...FYI.
    Jerry