Thread: Live Center Question

Live Center Question

My Jet mini lathe live center point is not a point. It is about 3/16 inch diameter and recessed just past the gripping circle. Is this replaceable? If so How? Or di I just get a new one. The bearing is fine and spins great. It was like this when I bought the lathe (used) Thanks for any help.

Yes the point is replaceable. Knock it out from the back and get one from Jet or allot of the Woodcraft stores keep them around for like $3.00.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Download the manual for your lathe from the Jet website. Depending on your model number, the part you are looking for is " center point for live center ". Sounds like your used lathe was missing this when you bought it. As stated above , you should be able to find a replacement at Woodcraft.

Many prefer to use these with the point removed as it allows for minor adjustments in position of the blank. With the point in place, minor adjustment is impossible as the point tracks right back into the original hole. I mostly use mine with the point removed though its certainly worth 3 bucks to have one if ever needed.

Use the knockout rod (if you still have it) through the backside of the live center. You should be able to tap the (assumedly broken) center point out. It has a taper just like the MT2 in the headstock and tailstock, just much smaller. Jet part number JML-52A. They run $3.50 or so online.

I have a small neodymium magnet stuck in the corner of the base of the tailstock, and when I remove the point I just stick it to the magnet. Works great. I probably use the tailstock without the point than I do with it, 60%/40% split.

Thanks for the info!~ got it taken care of.