Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electric chain saw for prepping large bowl blanks?

Electric chain saw for prepping large bowl blanks?

I usually use my gas chain saw to rough out large blanks before either band sawing or mounting on the lathe. Of course I do it outdoors because of the noise and fumes. It struck me that an electric saw would be both quieter and easier on the lungs. Any experience out there? Do they have enough power? Do they cut efficiently?

Ken

Ken, I have a Stihl electric one. I don't remember the model. It has a 16" bar and does really well.
    Joe

I have only used cheap Home Depot electrics and one nice gas powered Husky. The electrics cut fine, but the chain would slip off the bar on a regular basis. A assume that has more to do with "cheap" than "electric". The chain has never slipped off of the Husqvarna.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I have the Husqvana 316E which is 16in bar. This is working well for me. Well made. I like the design which has the motor in line with the saw, not at right angles in most electric models.

As long as you have electric power within extension cord range, this is a good saw.

In the cold weather I have used this indoors. The normal debris flying around, and a lot of cleanup, but I was happy not to worry about any fumes.

I am using this saw to cut log sections and prepare the blanks.
    Last edited by Dave Paine; 02-23-2014 at 10:08 AM.

I have the Makita with a 16" bar. I don't believe that it's the equivalent of the Husky or the Stihl, but for the price, I would recommend it highly. Keep the chain sharp and it cuts through pretty much anything that my older Stihl gas will handle.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Define "large". I would think most electric saws would be able to handle trimming the corners off of slabs to make them roundish, but many of the consumer grade saws have difficulty with processing a log into slabs. Cutting across the grain is much easier on the saw than cutting along the grain. My first electric was a Poulan with a 16" bar and it still works well if all I am doing is cutting a slab into an octagon, but as soon as I try to cut lengthwise on a log the long stringy shavings get tangled up in the drive sprocket and throw the chain off. That got frustrating really fast so I bought a slightly more expensive Remington with a 16" bar. It also works well for trimming slabs and also seemed to be working well for producing the slabs from the log, right up until the brushes burned off the motor the second time I used it for that purpose. I finally bit the bullet, dug _deep_ into my pocket and bought a Stihl MS220. It came with a 20" bar and uses the same bars, chains and oiler mechanisms as the gas powered Stihl saws. It makes the other two electric saws I have feel like toys in comparison. It easily handles anything I have thrown at it. If you have a gas saw for the grunt work then most electrics should be able to handle the finesse work.

Take care
    Bob
    Last edited by Bob Hamilton; 02-23-2014 at 10:24 AM.

My electric one works just fine. Gas ones are great for large jobs and remote places. I find that with my electric one, I am more likely to 'dress' my blanks sooner so I have fewer lost blanks. I don't have to wait for good weather and I don't have to deal with the fumes in the shop. I bought one with the most amps I could find. It is either 16" or 18" which has been big enough thus far. I probably am more cautious with the electric one but that's not a bad quality with something that can hurt you in a blink.

They are slow when compared to gas models. You can not 'push' them, and have to let them cut at their own pace. You can use them inside, or outside as they don't bother the neighbors, or gas you out. I have a Husky, but don't use it much any more. I have a 16 Laguna HD bandsaw, It cuts much faster and cleaner than the electric chainsaw. Costs a bit more, but having the sides of the blanks be parallel really helps production.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Wilkinson View Post
    I have the Makita with a 16" bar. I don't believe that it's the equivalent of the Husky or the Stihl, but for the price, I would recommend it highly. Keep the chain sharp and it cuts through pretty much anything that my older Stihl gas will handle.
    + 1 on the Makita. Best bang for the buck. 14 amp motor and the chain seems to be harder steel than my Stihl. You can stall it, but overall good power and made to last.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Another HAPPY Makita electric owner. Bought mine used and has worked great for the past three years. Like any other power cutting tool they require a chain with sharp cutters. I get mine from my Stihl dealer for only $23. He custom makes them from a large spool of chain and I can pick the style of cutters I like. There are several to choose from.
    U.S.A.F. Ret. MSgt 2006

I have the Worx 18" (15 amp) electric chainsaw. Works great, I only split logs two or three times a year though. I haven't come up with a good supply of green wood. Less upkeep than a gas motor that would sit all year unused. If I were prepping tons of logs regularly I would get a gas one.

I did split a 18" long 12" dia Osage orange log with it recently. No lack for power.

It is nice to use it inside when it's raining.
    Where did I put that?

I have had a Poulin (i think) for a few years and have ripped & cross cut maple, cherry & butternut with no real problem. The long strings ripping can be a problem but you can reduce that by REFILING YOUR CHAIN. ( have 2 chains) For ripping file straight across. Works much better. Ron.

Good info. I am going to be in the market for one soon. I had a defibrillator installed last November and small gas engines are a big NO-NO. (Actually its the spark plug). I have a small Stihl with just a few hours on it - wonder if they would take it back in trade...
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I'm another with a WORX although mine is 16". Nice saw. When I had an issue the customer service was great.
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum

i bought a 18" sun joe off amazon and it has done everything i asked it to do so far.
    Grandpa always told me. "A good woodworker is not one that makes no mistakes. A good woodworker is one who knows how to cover up his mistakes."